  • Subject: Re: My token ring network croaked
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:26:52 -0500

Your TRN adapter type?

We are at v4r1, use a 2619, and had a failed line.  Once line/IOP was reset
the majority of SNA sessions could not re-connect.  An IPL was the only
circumvention available.  Happened twice to us.  IBM had a PTF that fixed a
number of many problems re: 2619.  I'm out of office so I'm short my
documentation.  I'd recommend that PTF if you are on V4R1.  We and IBM were
never able to determine the exact cause.  The failures occured within 7
days of one another.  Since the PTF we have had almost three months with no
problems.....

Help!

We have an AS400 S-10 as a database server for a token ring network of 14
PCs, some of which are Windows 95 and some are WFW 3.11.  The Windows 95
machines run CA95; the WFW 3.11 machines are on CA Enhanced for DOS with
Rumba; all machines also run Microsoft Network.  I have a variety of token
ring cards.

Tuesday afternoon, one of our PC users reported to me that her PC had
frozen in an AS400 session.  Rebooting it (using the reset button - the
keyboard buffer was full, so the three finger salute wouldn't work) would
not load LAN support and when it went looking for the router, it began
beaconing.  Within five minutes, everyone who was in an AS400 session
reported their systems down, and no one could log back on to the network.

IBM said it was a cabling network.  When we called the cabling contractor,
they came in and found that the AS400 had de-inserted itself from the ring.
 I did a PWRDWNSYS and IPL, which has gotten the system back.  My network
is now running again, but I'm no further ahead as to what the problem could
have been or, more importantly, how to fix it.  As near as I can figure out
from the log, a PC upstream from the AS400 disconnected improperly, causing
the AS400 token ring line to fail.

Any assistance/insight (in non-technical terms, please) would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA
David Petrie
Taylor Enterprises - Your First Choice in Association Management

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com