  • Subject: Re: "Naming" a PC5250 Device (session) in CA NT...
  • From: cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles L. Massoglia)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:08:24 -0400

The following comes from NewsWire/400:

IBM POSTS NEW CLIENT ACCESS PTF FOR WIN 95/NT V3R1M3
IBM has posted a new PTF for Client Access for Windows 95/NT
V3R1M3 users that lets V3R7 users take advantage of new TCP/IP
enhancements, in particular the enhancements include printer
emulation sessions over TCP/IP, the ability to specify a
workstation ID for both display and printer emulation sessions
over TCP/IP, and Bypass Signon support for display emulation
sessions over TCP/IP. For more information on the PTF, go to
http://www.as400.ibm.com/clientaccess and look up informational
APAR II10918.

To take advantage of the new support, you need Client Access
V3R1M3 and PTFs for the OS/400 server. At present, server support
is available only for V4R2 and V3R7, but IBM says PTFs for V3R2
and V4R1 are coming this quarter, so keep an eye on the Client
Access home page.

IBM also released a service pack for Client Access V3R1M3, with
numerous fixes. Check the Client Access page mentioned above for
more information on that as well.
_______________

>Yep, guess I wasn't thinking of it that way, but makes sense, although you
would think that based on other configuration options, it
>would present a screen that was relevan/intelligent... :-)
>
>This reminds me of the trouble we had several years back with assigning
namez to OS/2 PC5250 machines (don't laugh, our R&D group is
>using a TON of them...) with Client Access. On the Windows version of
PC5250 you could click on Communications and Configure and put a
>name in there. No go on OS/2 (there was no Save As option...). I talked to
IBM and got the OS/2 Comm Mgr C/A folks. When I told them
>what I wanted to do, they said it couldn't be done. When I described how it
worked with Windows PC5250, he seemed receptive and in
>agreement that that made sense but said that they were TWO DIFFERENT
GROUPS... and that is why PC5250 was not the same...

>Eventually a contractor that is working for us figured out how to do this
in OS/2...

>Thanks !
>
>Chuck
>

>Pete Hall wrote:
>
>> At 10:56 PM 4/13/98 -0400, Chuck Lewis wrote:
>> >As for device naming; I can't BELIEVE that IBM would do this -
EXPECIALLY since
>> >the screen CLEARLY (well ACTUALLY it is greyed out...) shows the field
for this.
>> >It is RIDICULOUS that if the field is there, I am on V3R6 and can
connect, it
>> >WON'T WORK !!!
>>
>> Chuck,
>> That device name is used for other connectivity methods (e.g. anynet,
twinax, 802.2). IBM didn't just put it there to aggravate you.

>> Pete
>>
>> Pete Hall
>> peteh@inwave.com
>> http://www.inwave.com/~peteh/
>>
>> +---
>> | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
>> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>> +---
>

>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>+---

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net