  • Subject: Re: Telnet on the AS400
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:05:48 -0500

Bill

>What are the advantages to waiting for  V4R2?  Thanks for your help...

Bill, that's a good question. Let's start an arguement...

Here is one way to look at it. Here, first is IBM's top ten of sexy snazzy
features (interpreted purely in my opinion), and then, again in my opinion,
the real-world top ten:

IBM's top ten
1  Lotus Domino native on the AS/400
2  Java VM on the AS/400
3  NT on the IPCS card
4  TCP/IP enhancements (DHCP, DNS and PPP)
5 Web serving enhancements (certificates, better HTTP APIs, security APIs)
6 Net.Commerce improvements (but no SET for credit cards until 4.3)
7 Stored procedures in SQL
8 ATM support
9 Thread support

Real world top ten
1 Date/time data types in display and printer files and better date data
type performance
2 TCP/IP enhancements (DHCP, DNS and PPP)
3 ILE RPG BIFS to eliminate indicator dependence (%eof, %found, etc)
4 NetServer puts AS/400 in Network Neighborhood without CA/400 (enables
CA/400 install from AS/400 with IP)
5 Field-level security (can lock down, by field, user update
authorities--unforunately, still no field-level view authorities)
6 Better Net.Data performance
7 Remote journaling (though no command interface yet)
8 Record-level access from client to OS/400 across IP (without kludgy
redirector)
9 NT on the IPCS card

Real world top ten notes:
* TCP/IP device and printing enhancements excluded because those get PTF'd
back to V3R2.

* Domino is _very_ important to the AS/400 and will grow in importance to
existing AS/400 shops. But today, you either need it or you don't. For most
real-world justifications of V4R2, I think its specialization limits its
importance.

* Java leff off because it's not ready for server-side production use. IBM's
own admission is that server side Java provides "reasonable performance, but
not for high performance applications." Note that the JavaToolbox is
relatively important, but the latest beta is now on the web and you don't
need V4R2 to use it.

* NT on the IPCS card squeeks by because there will be lots of resellers
selling this when they shouldn't be! Still, it will be sold and considered
important in small departments and workgroups.

* Model 170 is important because that box will redefine the AS/400's form
factor, scalability and price/performance ratios substantially. It is
important to _many_ AS/400 shops as they start migration from white to black
boxes. The Model 170 will bring RISC to more CISC shops than all other
AS/400's combined!

>What would be required to set up a basic Telnet session on the 400. I
>would want to run a simple Telnet terminal on a pc workstation that could
>use TCP/IP via our LAN and connect to the 400. Is it even possible ??

It is possible and very easy to do (and much easier with V4R2's DHCP to
dynamically server IP addresses to your clients). You need a LAN card in
your AS/400 and to turn IP on (see the TCP/IP Fast Path manual) It is so
coooool to connect locally with a good telnet client like Distinct's
Software's IntelliTerm--no CA/400, no CA/400 connection. Just BOOM you're
there.

rp