From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Dave Mahadevan
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 11:06 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re: EMC DASD (wasCISC to RISC conversion of data)

Neil:

Neil Palmer wrote:

> So, IMHO, the reason 3rd party disk is cheaper, is because IT'S NO BLOODY
GOOD
> !!!!

I hate to disagree with this statement.  But the truth is EMC DASD is as
good
as.  They have grabbed a huge market share and growing by leaps and bounds.
The
customers are all not that stupid, right?  I have used their DASD without
trouble.  OTOH, 3 of my 9332-600 failed.   Everybody of course knows the
fantastic unreliability of 9335.   Blanket statements like this only cause
misunderstanding.  I believe all DASD manufacturers try their best.   I do
believe that mirroring now is the best choice considering the price of DASD
in
general to avoid disk crashes (been there done that).

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net