  • Subject: (used to be certification...)
  • From: Don <dr2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

Guys,

In addition to the "what the job and company offers" array is the
questions of quality personal time and cash flow.  I can't begin to tell
you how many "great opportunity" calls I've gotten over the years..and one
of the first questions I ask is "how much does it pay?".

Once I get past the standard BS of "salary comensurate on experience and
how hard we can flog you" replies, I generally get a hard cash
number...and it's generally not a nice one.  To which they generally
reply, "but that's the going rate for this area where the job is....".
Which forces this question:  Let's say I want to take my family on
vacation to West BFE;  I call up the Holy Day Inn there to book a room
reservation; they tell me it cost X-bucks/night.  But, I protest, I live
in Boondogle, USA, where the cost of living is low and the wages match it!
My reply is "TS, turkey!, it's still X-bucks/night!".

Now, why should I WANT to work 4x as much in Boondogle for the same
vacation as I can may in 1x time in another place?  Why can't "personnel
types" get this through their heads and understand the industry?

I submit that there's a major realism lack within the personnel side that
our industry has to relate to...which is why I insisted on all resume's
coming to me when I was a MIS Mgr years ago...and still do...

...just my opinion...and I might be wrong.....:)

Don in DC metro...