  • Subject: Careers (was Re: Certification)
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:38:57 EDT

Chris,

> I think that there are two things you need to evaluate the pay scale
>  against:
>
>          1. Is it sufficient to meet your needs.
>          2. Does it compensate for what the job lacks.
>
>  No, I don't think that programmers should volunteer their skills and seek
>  nirvana through deprevation.
>
>  But I do think that if a job is paying enough to meet your objectives,
>  you are foolish if you decide to change jobs simply because there is
>  greater cash elsewhere.
>
>  Not all working conditions are equal. How much money does it take to make
>  up for being burnt out day after day?
>
>  Anyway, I think it is near sighted to use money as a sole criteria for
>  job change.

Egad!  _AGAIN_ we agree!  Perhaps I did not stress this in the original
missive, but I have done so in others regarding this topic.  If you are happy
in your job, no amount of money should make you move.  Who cares?  If you're
happy in your work, there is probably little chance that you'll find something
else more satisfying.  On the other hand (and the one that I was referring
to), if you are _unhappy_ how much is _enough_?  People don't talk to
headhunters and consulting firms if they're happy -- yet, (I'll not speak for
others) _I'm_ constantly bombarded with requests from people that _SAY_ they
want to change jobs but the offered salaries/rates are _NEVER_ enough.  If you
don't _really_ want to change, _DON'T_ make other people work their tails off
for you only to give the Emily Latella response of "Oh, that's quite different
-- never mind".

If you _THINK_ you want to change, establish metrics up front as to what sort
of increase you are looking for, and what sort of company you want to work
for.  DO NOT apply for jobs that you don't want in the first place, and DO NOT
say you want one thing and then decide you want something else.

Money should _NOT_ be the sole criteria for a job change -- heck, I've taken
_CUTS_ in salary to get a position I wanted.  I have people even now saying
"at least you get paid for the overtime".  Errrrr.  It would be politically
incorrect to say "Well, if just _ONE_ of you people would 'pick up the baton',
none of us would have to _WORK_ all this overtime".  If you're happy, stay
where you are.  If you aren't, don't refuse to accept a position after others
have spent _their_ time, effort, and probably a few "personal favors" to get
you the job...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Never go to bed mad.  Stay up and fight." -- Phyllis Diller