>I think there may be a better way, so I am asking.
>
>Lets say I have a name and address header file where the records include
>these five names:
>

>Adams Brewery, Inc.
>
>J. A. Adams & Company, Inc.
>
>Bruce Adams
>
>Bruce Adams, Jr.
>
>Adam & Bruce Bagels & Buns
>

>Now, I want one of the logical files over that physical file to provide
>alphabetic order, using phone book rules of alphabetization.  What
>algorithms make sense and are useful and efficient?
>
>--
>boothm@ibm.net

Arrrrgh!  I'd say you need a 'sort' field; another alpha field that
contains the name by which you want to sort.

The fun of the examples you've given is that you can't just say "Pick the
2nd word as the alpha key."  Nor can you say "Pick the 2nd word unless the
name includes "Inc" or "Company" or "Corp" or "LTD"...  not all corporate
names may be entered with "INC" or "CO" in the name.

You can't say "Pick the last word that is not 'inc' 'co' 'corp' or 'ltd.'

Unless you can reduce your data base to a finite set of rules, you're going
to be constantly tweaking any automatic solution, as you find more and more
exceptions to your rules!  (;

For one small data base that I created, I made the selection a manual
function on data entry:  The entry clerk inserted a | (Vertical Bar)
instead of the blank before the searchable word.  It was extra work on
entry, but was extremely flexible.  Allowed for 'inc' 'co' 'corp' 'ltd'
'jr' 'sr' 'III' or hyphenated last names.  You'd just enter:

                |Adams Brewery, Inc
                J A|Adams & Company
                Bruce|Adams
                Bruce|Adams, Jr
                Adam & Bruce|Bagels & Buns

...and the Alpha field would be filled with

                Adams Brewery, Inc
                Adams & Company J A
                Adams Bruce
                Adams, Jr Bruce
                Bagels & Buns Adam & Bruce

Always such fun with the American Mutilation of the English Language!  (:

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com