  • Subject: Re: Keeping MIS people (was Certification)
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 13:39:45 PDT

** Reply to note from Glenn Ericson <Glenn-Ericson@att.net> Sat, 04 Apr 1998
11:52:54 -0500

> The  conversations seems to have shifted to the IS Market place and  what
> it takes to satisfy  IT talent today  It appears salary  alone is not the
> driver  but  perks  such as location,  stable hours, a nice place to live
> etc, have  been brought up.
>
> Now, if you  have to get a segment of your IT group into some " less than"
> desirable  project for a time what might you offer to keep their loyalty,
> job satisfaction, and participation?
>
> Obtaining & Training  new staff is costly  Vs keeping the ones you have.

Glenn, the job I have now is the best one I've had in twenty years. By
far. But, the real question is WHY?

First, I do make more than I have on a staff position before. But I could
probably make more if I really tried, so while money is important I think
it's more important that I know the pay is in line with my position. I
don't think it is plausible to expect my company to show up every month
or so with a raise (hey, it'd be great though!) and say, "MIS jobs have
gone up in the market so we are keeping abreast."

Financially, companies need to assure that they do not let their
employees fall behind or the dollar difference gets to be insulting and
that makes a big difference.

Second, I live in a beautiful area that is great for a father raising
teenagers. I think family oriented people will have different
requirements here than singles. For me, I need a community where I feel
my kids won't have excessive pressure to become involved with things I
am hoping they will avoid. My family means more to me than any job, so a
job that allows me to live in an area that I see as very positive for my
family is a big plus. That makes a difference that you can't see when
comparing paychecks.

Third, I work with great people. I spend many hours a week with these
people. If you are in a workplace where you need to deal with a lot of
"pointy haired bosses" or even just that there isn't anyone else who can
understand the things you do to get your job done, you can be frustrated
every single day. It is so, so, so much better to deal with a group of
people that not only understand but also can pitch in on the occasion
when you need it. This sort of workplace culture fosters the _desire_ to
work. When I know that someone else on my team is swamped and I am about
caught up, I want to get stuff knocked out so I can lend a hand.

This working atmosphere is a big part of the value of a job. You will
spend most of your waking hours in the workplace. How much compensation
would it take to make up the difference? I _like_ going in to work. How
much money would I have to make to go into a place where I didn't enjoy
it as much, or didn't like it at all.

So before people think about switching, they should think about the
entire package. What are they giving up, what are they getting. Just
comparing salaries is silly, especially since in six months salaries will
be back out of balance.

This is leaving aside compeletely the questions of loyalty. If your
employer has been loyal to you, you might like yourself better to return
that. However, usually it is best to fulfill this by approaching the
employer and explaining the reason you feel the need to change.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.