  • Subject: CODE/400 - VARPG - Installation Notes for TCP/IP
  • From: Dave.Mahadevan.<mahadevan@xxxxxxxx;
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 13:19:37 -0500

--------------3840CDCEA48AB62A0A37A48B

Chris:

The following is kind of a road map.

Pre-op notes:

    IBM says TCP/IP is now available for CODE/400 with VARPG on WIN95.

    Order 5763-CL3 from IBM Direct (US$1,150) for V3R2. (referred to by
the techies as V3R2M1)

    Product arrives in six 6250 bpi tapes, or whatever medium you
choose.

Op notes:

    If you got CD for CA/400 for Win95, install CA/400 for Win95 V3R1M3
<-- important...dont skip this step.  V3R1M1 or V3R1M2 wont work for
    TCP/IP option of  CODE/400

    Use Install all (option 1) from GO LICPGM.  Dont try any other
option.  There are a slew of products on those six tapes.

    Apply latest cum tape 98048 using option 8 - load ptf package (even
if you have done this before!)

    If you did not setup V3R1M3 of Win95 CA/400, do it now using the
check service pack level(?)

    Go to shared folder QDTSWIN in dos prompt (not dos mode) and issue
SETUP.

    Product installed now in PC and AS/400. (dont party yet)

    Start TCP/IP Daemon from the ADTSC menu on the PC.

    Issue STRCODE with F4.  No place for TCP/IP communication.
    Download SF97320 and apply.

    Now STRCODE SERVER(OS400) RMTLOCNAME(DAVE) CMNTYPE(*TCPIP)

    Issue STRDBGSVR on AS/400.  Command not found
    Download SF42864 and apply.

    Now STRDBGSVR.  Works when you start debugger on PC.

     Order                     PTF-SF46857 and
                                   PTF-SF46849 (if you have CODE
installed)
                                   PTF-SF46688 (if you have VARPG
installed)
    and apply and then again use SETUP ? from QADTSWIN

    OR   Goto IBMs ADTSC website
http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/varpg/servicev3r2m1.html and download
                                   Download CL2ADTS2.EXE (12.5M)
(Mandatory)
                                   Download CL2CODE2.EXE (9.3M) (if you
have CODE/400 only installed)
                                   Download CL2VRPG2.EXE (10.4M) (if you
have VARPG only installed)
    Follow the instruction if you downloaded if from the web on
SERVICE.TXT in ADTSWIN\MRM dirctory.
    hint: these are big downloads and you can speed up by using FTP
client like WS_FTP from IBM's ftp site
     ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2ADTS2.exe

     ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2CODE2.exe

     ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2VRPG2.exe

    Download SF97320. Scan for ADTS and note down the PTFS.  Download
the cover letters for these and read and then download the required
    PTF's for your needs and apply.

Post-op notes:

    If you have used PDM and never tried a GUI editor, be prepared for a
long learning curve (ignore the solicitious IBM marketing mumbo of how
    PDMish is CODE/400!).   A week to get the basics.  Two months to
become fairly conversant. A year for dunces like me.

    The tutorial is fairly good.  Go through it.  However, (here I go
again), download PTF SF45556 to get the lab exercises.

    There are stuff which is nice like verify code (like a pre-compile),
verify DDS (buggy on subfiles and flags many errors which are not really
there!).
    The monitor in debugger is just what the doctor ordered to speed up
debug.

    DONT EXPECT HELP FROM IBM unless you have a support line contract.
However, this group can answer all your questions!

Authors Post-op blues:

    Listen, GUI and C/S are the way business is going, why fight? join
the future...besides if IBM did not come up with VARPG all the RPG guys
can
    endup as dinosaurs!  But please, rant and rave and pound the table
when you find a simple one liner in SEU is slightly more work in GUI!

    PATIENCE IS THE KEY. Party on dude.

    Watch out M$ is patenting 0 and 1, you can read all about it at
http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html  (ROTFL)

Chris Rehm wrote:

  ** Reply to note from Dave Mahadevan &lt;mahadevan@fuse.net> Thu, 26 Mar
1998 18:12:29 -0500

  > I figured as much.  But lo behold I did not have STRDBGSVR on my
system (honest).
  > After going throug SF97320, it seems it was made available through
SF42864 which is
  > not on any cum tape.  Well downloaded it, used STRDBGSVR and
actually debugged a
  > program.  Love that monitor...

  Dave,
          You have been through a lot to get that product up and
running!
  &gt;From what I read you brought it up under Win95 with TCP/IP? Or am I
  confusing two installs?

> Dave,
>           You have been through a lot to get that product up and running!
>   &gt;From what I read you brought it up under Win95 with TCP/IP? Or am I
>   confusing two installs?
>
>           Anyway, I was wondering if you would be willing to supplement
>   IBM's docs here and type up a little list of what steps you had to go
>   through that IBM did not prepare you for. Maybe we can float the list
>   here and on Midrange and use it in response to people who have questions.
>
>   Do you have time for that?

Well how was that?

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net

<http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/varpg/servicev3r2m1.html>http://www.softwar
e.ibm.com/ad/varpg/servicev3r2m1.html and download
                                   Download CL2ADTS2.EXE (12.5M) (Mandatory)
                                   Download CL2CODE2.EXE (9.3M) (if you have
CODE/400 only installed)
                                   Download CL2VRPG2.EXE (10.4M) (if you have
VARPG only installed)
    Follow the instruction if you downloaded if from the web on SERVICE.TXT in
ADTSWIN\MRM dirctory.
    hint: these are big downloads and you can speed up by using FTP client
like
WS_FTP from IBM's ftp site

<ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2ADTS2.exe>ftp://s
ervice.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2ADTS2.exe

<ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2CODE2.exe>ftp://s
ervice.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2CODE2.exe

<ftp://service.software.ibm.com/as400/products/ad/varpg/CL2VRPG2.exe>ftp://s

<http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html>http://www.theonio

Chris Rehm wrote:

  ** Reply to note from Dave Mahadevan &lt;mahadevan@fuse.net> Thu, 26 Mar
1998 18:12:29 -0500

  > I figured as much.  But lo behold I did not have STRDBGSVR on my system
(honest).
  > After going throug SF97320, it seems it was made available through SF42864
which is
  > not on any cum tape.  Well downloaded it, used STRDBGSVR and actually
debugged a
  > program.  Love that monitor...

  Dave,
          You have been through a lot to get that product up and running!
  &gt;From what I read you brought it up under Win95 with TCP/IP? Or am I
  confusing two installs?

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You have been
through a lot to get that product up and running! &nbsp; &gt;From what I
read you brought it up under Win95 with TCP/IP? Or am I &nbsp; confusing
two installs? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Anyway, I was wondering if you would be willing to supplement &nbsp; IBM's
docs here and type up a little list of what steps you had to go &nbsp;
through that IBM did not prepare you for. Maybe we can float the list
&nbsp; here and on Midrange and use it in response to people who have
questions. &nbsp; Do you have time for that?</pre><font
href="mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net">mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net</a> <br>&nbsp;

> Dave, > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You have
been through a lot to get that product up and running! > &nbsp; &gt;From
what I read you brought it up under Win95 with TCP/IP? Or am I > &nbsp;
confusing two installs? > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyway, I was
wondering if you would be willing to supplement > &nbsp; IBM's docs here
and type up a little list of what steps you had to go > &nbsp; through that
IBM did not prepare you for. Maybe we can float the list > &nbsp; here and
on Midrange and use it in response to people who have questions. > > &nbsp;
Regards <br>> <br>> Dave Mahadevan.. <a

Dave Mahadevan.. <mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net>mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net