  • Subject: RE: 8mm Tape Media (was RE: CODE/400 - TCP)
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 09:04:06 -0700

You built your house with 8mm tape - no wonder the roof leaks !   :-)

OK - one BIG caveat.  You MUST treat them carefully (as Al would
probably say, like a $500 hooker).
(OK - apologies in advance, no flames please).
AND clean the drive at the recommended intervals.
For example, if you DO drop one, the recommendation is that the tape be
replaced.
I've been using them for over 5 years, and I'll admit I do have one
hanging on a picture hook by the loose tape coming out of the cartridge,
but that one WAS dropped and I saw the operator pick it up and insert it
in the drive.
Big mistake !
Also, you occasionally run into some cheap bas***d who will try to use
an 8mm Video tape in the drive to save a few dollars.  Duh !
And as I said, I wouldn't recommend them for long term archiving.

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com