Cornerstone Communications currently supports down to V3R1 for
Fax Server/401.  And the bar was raised just recently to that.
Up until November 97, we supported down to V2R3.  We can still
ship V2R3 tapes, just can't make any changes to them.

>From a development point of view, it would be great if we could
develop for the current release.  However, a large number of end
users are not at the current release of OS/400.  The higher we
raise the bar, the smaller our market is.  This is why I raised
a huge stink about Visual Age C++ not being able to target V3R1
I the Code/400 & News400 forums.  And why I am still using ILE/C
(yuk) on the AS/400 (but C++ under windows).

I think an ISV who required V4Rx is probably chopping out 60 to
80% of their market.  After all, how many on this list are still
on a CISC box?  On V3R6 or V3R7?  Most of your hands are
probably going up.  But if I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know!  I'd
love to use some of the V3R7 stuff in ILE/RPG (sub procedures,
etc).

The other issue as Peter points out is the existing customer
base.  It is one thing to tell a potential customer that you
cant sell your product to them if they aren't on V4R2.  It is
much harder to tell an existing customer (who is paying
maintenance money) that unless they upgrade OS/400, they are SOL
and have been wasting their Maint money.  Makes for pissed off
customers.  And most ISV's can not afford many pissed off
customers.  At least Cornerstone can't.  And pissed off
customers are NOT any fun to talk to.  Happy customers are.

Regards,
Bob Crothers
Cornerstone Communications