Walden,

You are right.  The prices for VB are more like $400 for professional, $1100
for enterprise, but
most people would buy the developers studio for about $850.  To ensure your
code works
on multiple releases you would also want a subscription of MSDN.  About $1000
per
year for the base, or a few thousand more for the full version.  I agree with
you about a cheap
version.  One copy should come with the operating system.  I would bet that
would pique interest
in the product.  The biggest expense we had was the new Ethernet adapter that
was required
because our network does not support source based routing.  The adapter wasn't
that bad but
it took us roughly 100 hours to figure out what was wrong.  With the TCPIP
version this is not a
concern.

David Morris

>>> "Walden Leverich" <walden@techsoftinc.com> 03/04 5:43 AM >>>
I must take exception with your pricing on VB. While a learning edition of
VB may cost <$100 if you intend to do any serious enterprise development
(and you must be, otherwise you're not in an apples-to-apples comparison
with Code/400) then you need at least a professional copy, if not
enterprise. And if you buy the professional copy, you are missing the Change
control interfaces and the ADO support. Pricing on professional (from
memory) is ~$300 and ~1000 for Enterprise. Now the Code/400 prices seem more
reasonable, no?

Don't get me wrong, I still think a "cheap" version of Code/400 is needed,
the cheap version gets you in the door, once productivity gains are seen "in
our shop, with our programmers, doing our work" management is much more
willing to spend large amounts of money.

-Walden

<snip>

> If a company wants VisualBasic, or VisualAge for Basic, or VisualAge for
> Java, then those suites are in the <$100 range. Code/400 not only provides
> extensive tools, but also addresses a smaller market segment. Look at the
> list of components in Code/400, compare it to other items on the market.
> Take into consideration the Code/400 market. I don't see how Code/400
could
> be a profitable item for IBM as it stands, with the small amount of market
> adoption for the product, yet it see regular updates and is a top notch
> product.
<snip>