  • Subject: Request for input (was Re: Installing V4R2 for the first time)
  • From: qappdsn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 01:01:38 -0800

Neil Palmer wrote:

> Booth - haven't you mixed apples and oranges here ?
> He's using Client Access AND TCP/IP, not INSTEAD OF.

Neil,

Thanks for pointing out a confusing difference for some.

With all of the components to take into consideration it can get convoluted
between physical connection (twinax, coaxial, twisted pair, wireless, etc.),
transmission protocols (SNA, IP, etc.) and the display program to get you from
here to there (CA, TN, VT etc.).

And even when one thinks they know all of the players someone throws in SNA over
TCP/IP =:-o
Sort of like when is a lineman eligible to be a receiver (sorry don't know my
football as well as my computer...best I could come up with at this hour).

But your response does bring up a point I would like to enlist some assistance
on
and I'm requesting any and all input for a "cook book" for local/remote
connection combinations.

OK, before you throw your head back and laugh tossing around all of the possible
combinations (X to the Nth power?).....I'll wait till you settle
down.....(background music going tic toc tic toc)...:)

Buzzzz...times up

Let me start by stating that I've gained a great deal of information from the
Red
Books and request a resounding cyber applause for the contributors contribution.
My request is in the "baby step" phase that takes an installation one rung up
the
evolution chain from twinax 5250 device to let's say 5250 PC based twinax
running
a plain jane DOS emulator, next rung twinax CA or Rumba or whatever (what's the
cost and what's the gain) under Win (i.e.: one device that can monopolize a
twinax port consuming all 7 devices so the programer can open multiple sessions
to browse code and avoid getting CODE/400....cheeky reference to the recent
flood..not funny but my brand of humor :)..)...then the next step of "I've got
an
Ethernet adapter on my 400 so what can I do with it?" or maybe "Why would I
bother getting an Ethernet adapter for my 400?"

I'm about to be the proud owner of my own IP address and domain name and feel
that throwing my grandchildren's college education away for the disk drives I'm
going to have to acquire for the storage of configuration examples and graphics
(for the ones you've always said "Do I have to draw you a picture!?") is a good
diversion from the toil and trouble, boil and bubble, of the every looming
millennium I'm working on to solve.   Hey, a guy's got to have a hobby and I
think this might bridge the gap from the "plug it in and let the system deal
with
it" to the more esoteric examples from the Red Books.

Private eMail welcome, by lines honored, flames ignored :)

James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

P.S. Once NWNexus does their thing: James@Kilgore.com