  • Subject: Re: Performance tuning suggestions
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:16:04 EST

Vernon,

<<_BIG_ snip>>
> Dean A. has often said he doesn't like dynamic tuners, doesn't think they
>  are responsive enough. I hope he's referring to QPFRADJ that's a part of
>  the system, because it monitors at 15 minute intervals, and the system is
>  far too dynamic for that to do much good, IMO. I know that AutoTune (and
>  Charlie, too, I believe) can be set to monitor and adjust performance
>  parameters every 5 _seconds_, without material degradation to overall
>  performance (a few seconds of total cpu time every hour). That's 180
>  times finer granularity than the native function. A typical installation
>  may monitor at 10 second intervals. IMO, Dean's comments do not apply to
>  the third-party dynamic tuners, which are completely different animals
>  from the built-in tuning function.

I _am_ referring to QPFRADJ and PT/400 when disparaging these products.  Not
to mention that QPFRCOL is such a hog as to render its own findings useless.
I haven't worked with the third party products, mainly because I always
considered them as redundant as I do QPFRADJ.

>  BTW, we use AutoTune on all 12 of our AS/400's, from B35 to F80 to 200 to
>  510 to 620. We would not even consider not using it.

I'm not sure that even God Himself could help your B35 ;-)...

<<snip some good suggestions that could have also come from reading and
understanding the Work Mangement Guide <G>>>

>  I heartily recommend a product like AutoTune or Charlie (you know my bias
>  <<g>--sorry, Peter). Both are available, I believe, in 30-day trials.

I just don't like the idea.  It's like using a calculator in a basic math
class -- yeah the answers are (usually) right, but the student never grasps
the underlying concept that provided the solution.  From what I've seen in the
field, people that actually understand _why_ certain things should be done are
going the way of SE's (and CE's that can pump a drive or use an oscilliscope)
in the AS/400 world.

The tools you mention are _NOT_ inexpensive compared to what it would take to
train a deserving employee in how to do the job themselves.  Once an optimal
pool assignment strategy has been implemented (sometimes requiring an _IN-
HOUSE_ program to adjust for various load peaks), the system needs very little
monitoring until the next major configuration change occurs.  I've just always
believed more in people than in automated systems.  The latter are invariably
twinged with the same biases as the people that wrote them in the first
place...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists." -- Joan
Gussow