  • Subject: RE: System/34
  • From: "Max Eskin" <maxeskin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:19:08 PST

I don't want to encourage this that much, but I will comment on the
various differences that are obvious to me. First, IBM made the
System/34 rock solid, and made the PC a piece of manure, intentionally.
The PC was never meant to be a server, just to do simple tasks like
word processing. So when you use a PC as a server, you will run into
problems, even if it is a "server model". The architecture is not as
reliable. AFAIK, Alpha and 680x0 ports of NT are worse than Intel
versions.

Secondly, when you have 200 users, you may have problems that you
wouldn't
have with 30. Bugs show themselves much more readily in those
conditions.
Also, a 34 ran several hundred times slower than a modern server, and
therefore was less subject to imperfections in the materials, EM flukes,
and so on.

The next point is that NT costs several hundred dollars, and several
thousand for a site license. Either way, it is less than a System/34.
The quality is adjusted accordingly.

The next hit is that most computer products are not made with the user
in mind, but NT tries to circumvent experience with "ease of use",
GUIs, help files, etc. which decreases USER performance as they try
to figure out how to do something that the GUI did not take into
account.

Of course, publishers and so on just need to get work done, and it is
natural to prefer NT and learn very little, just get to work, than
learn a complex system. I agree with that completely.

Also, Microsoft is known for "crapware", and some of NT is that. Not
all. So, NT is probably less stable, but Linux is better than NT, as
far as I have heard. It's all more commercial and industrial and
economic than technological. That is, if things were they way they
should be, we wouldn't have this discussion.

Just my $0.02

>I think the comparison was simply a shot at NT's reliability. For those
of
>us who think that is a major factor that doesn't seem to enter into the
>equation often enough, it's fun to occasionally point it out.
>
>By the way, several months back the Gartner Group published a report on
NT

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com