• Subject: Re: QCMDEXC question
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:40:34 PDT

** Reply to note from Mark Lazarus <mlazarus@ttec.com> Mon, 02 Feb 1998 10:34:20

> If I'm not mistaken, there have been numerous requests @ Common (and other
> avenues) for enhancements to CL.  Few have made it into production.  I
> imagine that's because the attitude is that it's a "free" program product
> (which it's not - OS/400 is not free!)

Mark, I imagine there have been many requests for enhancements, and many
more will be made. I hope people will feel free to make IBM aware of what
the user community wants.

I would like to point out, though, that you are upset with a viewpoint
that you are assuming IBM has. Until you get a letter from someone
managing Rochester telling you they don't think what users want is
important because CL is free, I don't think you should feel this is why
IBM isn't responding.

More likely, IBM may simply see the requested enhancements are having a
lower priority than others and they do not have the resources to
accomplish everything. The way to get IBM to reprioritize is to inform
them why some change is important. Or, perhaps you can have a look at what
IBM is working on and decide whether or not these issues should have
higher priority.

As an aside, Mark, I usually find it best to assign to others the same
motiviations I would have in their situation. If I can't figure out what
would make me behave that way, I try to figure out what motiviations it
would take to influence me into those actions. This isn't always
successful, but it does help.

>  -mark

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.
+---