  • Subject: Re: Printing using TCP/IP over Ethernet
  • From: Gary Feinstein <gfeinste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:37:56 -0500

Marc Zylka wrote:

> Can anyone let me know how well printing using TCP/IP
> over Ethernet works?  How well does the AS/400 pick up
> problems at the printer (ie. Paper Out, Forms Jams, etc.)
> Let's assume V4R1.  Hopefully, we'll be at V4R1 in a
> couple of weeks if Emery doesn't damage our next
> 620 again.
>
> I'm also looking at label printers which can handle IGP.
> These, apparently, don't have Ethernet hookups since
> they use a parallel port.  Would it be better to use a PC
> with NetSoft to print labels or a JetDirect card connected
> to the printer and Ethernet?
>
> Are there better options?  How about opinions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc Zylka (mzylka@netpath.net)

Marc,
        I have set up all of our printers using TCP/IP.  The ones that are
connected locally are using NIPrint LPD software to receive the jobs.  I
should note by the way that I am running V3R7.  It wasn't until very
recently that we were able to print multiple copies.  Also, this weekend
I will be applying a couple of PTF's that will allow us to do print
ranges.  The only real problem other than these two that I have
experienced, is the printer timeout being set to low.  This is set up on
the printer itself (we are using JetDirect Cards and almost all HP
printers.)  Sometimes when the AS/400 was running heavy batch jobs, the
printers almost stopped altogther.  I attributed this to the timeout.  I
think originally they were set to approx 45.  I bumped it up to about
300 and haven't had problems since.
        As far as feedback from the printer goes, it is not the best.  For
example, because they are remote writers, you will not see from the
AS/400 when the printer is Jammed or out of paper.  I personally don't
think this is a big deal since most (and I certainly don't mean all)
users are capable of fixing a "Paper Jam" or "Load Letter" message.  But
then again, there are always the few that call anyway.
HTH,
Gary Feinstein
AS/400 System Administrator
Planet Hollywood International Inc.