Reponse from my friend:

<< Thanks so much for the feedback. I got AnyNet configured this morning, was
pretty straightforward using redbook instructions, and got the connection
working, but since I don't have the client software yet, I can't actually test
it in action. Will keep you posted. Still goes against my grain to have to
even consider using it, but I guess if the choice becomes AnyNet or "NoNet",
the decision becomes obvious.

P.S. Did not even have to manually create device descriptions, that turned out
to be an "oh-by-the-way, you don't have to do this if you don't care what
controller they come in on"... phew! (Every little bit helps when you're doing
something as big as this entire project.) >>

Thanks a lot, folks.
+---