  • Subject: Re: Win95 - CA/400 session limit
  • From: "Jack Mullins" <jmullins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:55:28 -0600

Hi Bob,

Granted, Windows95 is not a perfect OS, far from it.  Furthermore, I don't know of any that exist!  But I would tend to agree that Windows95 is not causing the problems with CA.  On the other hand I don't believe the problem is CA either.  In my humble opinion, the problem stems from NS Router!  I used NS Router and CA in the past with all kinds of problems, crashes, router malfunctions, etc.  However, after switching to a TCP/IP connection to the AS/400, all of my problems went away!  I can't remember the last time my PC actually crashed.  I did away with the router and did away with all of my connection woes ;-)

>For example: think about the IE4.0 problems that people are having
>when Client Access is present on the same machine. What changed when
>IE4.0 was put on? Client Access or some .DLL that was modified in the
>OS so IE4.0 would work? Did Microsoft tell IBM about this .DLL change?
>Or, did IBM do a sloppy job with Client Access and violate some
>documented OS rule?

Yes, I experienced this problem after installing IE 4.0 (no conflicts or problems when using TCP/IP).  However, all of my other software continued to work great!  Why is CA/NS Router the only application that failed?

>We are used to trusting the OS developer. In days gone by, OS
>developers were usually careful to not change anything that would
>cause an incompatibility with software that uses the OS. I don't feel
>that Microsoft is that trustworthy.

You weren't responsible for that "pie in the face" incident yesterday were you?  ;-)