  • Subject: Re: Networking Options
  • From: qappdsn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:49:21 -0800

boothm@ibm.net wrote:

> >Booth:
> >You do not need a server.  Just connect the AS400 to your hub like any
> >other LAN device, config IP and you are there.  You could also run SNA
> >over the same connection.
> >Carl
>

> That's what I thought.  So, why do so many people say they "plan to
> install an NT server" in order to access the AS/400?  I just do not
> understand the extra step; it seems redundant and another potential
> point-of-failure.  It isn't just one or two occasional people that say
> this, either.

I found the same thing to be true.  We investigated remote connection using the
internet and the first advice we received was: 1) at each location install NT
server. 2) at each location do frame relay to a local ISP 3) pay extra for
static
IP address.

Upon further investigation: 1) NT is not needed, just a router. 2) a direct
frame
relay through the local phone company from remote direct to head quarters was
$50
LESS per month than the ISP was going to charge us (install cost was same) 3)
the router (or any old 486 in the closet using LINUX.....the fastest TCP/IP
implementation going!) can act as a proxy server.

IMHO each device in the flow is a potential weak link.  I guess this is a case
where less is more. :)

You might want to check out Netopia router or Red Hat/Caldora LINUX distribution
for remote access via TCP/IP.

Around here we have USWest providing unlimited (2 channel) ISDN ($208 for 3com
ISDN modem) for $63/mo and NW Nexus will give us a static IP/ISDN connection for
$95/mo using a Netopia router ($700 from NW Nexus/ $125 setup), domain name and
5
email address' (each additional $5/mo).....NT didn't show up anywhere on the
list
of requirements.

AKAIK, NT might be needed if you wanted to do SNA over TCP/IP.  Haven't gotten
that deep yet.  My standard recommendation has been to plug your AS/400 ethernet
card into your hub, connect router, and if you must, use a firewall product for
LINUX to protect your network.  It's one of probably a gazillion working
solutions, but I get a personal satisfaction of keeping Micro$oft out of the
loop. :)