RE:     SETON LR

>If I leave a program with LR *ON, and I never go back to that program
>to SETON LR, when the PAG get cleaned up?>
>I have a trigger program that runs approx. 500 times/day.
>It's a RPG IV program that will run the default activation group.
>The trigger will be fired from anyone of several batch OPM programs.
>I do not know when the program will run for the last time each day,
>therefore don't know when to set a flag to SETON LR.
>I could SETON LR just before we run our backoff if I really needed to.
>We IPL 1/week.  Will it get cleaned up then?
>How about when we do our usual backoff, without an IPL?
>Thanks!

Dave

Lets start with the 'givin'.    You say that the file will be updated in
batch primarily(batch jobs).  (Batch job updates file,  Trigger is called,
batch job ends).

If you seton *INLR in your trigger, it's Program Static Storage
Area(PSSA ie variables), ODP's, etc. will get cleaned up when you return
from the trigger.

If you don't seton *INLR,  Since it's a batch job,  all storage, ODP's etc.
will get cleaned up for the whole job(including the trigger) when the batch
job ends.

If you don't seton *INLR no harm is done when it's a batch job because you
know the batch job will end and storage will be cleaned up then.

However if you don't seton *INLR and it's fired from an interactive job,
it won't clean up it's storage until the person signs off.

Ask you self, Will this file ever be updated(or what ever event you set
the trigger for) interactively(whether its a program, interactive SQL, DFU,
etc.)?

If answer is yes,  Seton *INLR to force the cleanup.  If no,(only triggered
in batch)  You can leave *INLR off and it's storage will be cleaned up
automatically when batch job ends.
Or something like that.

John Carr
EdgeTech