  • Subject: Re: Mapped LDA - ILE common variables
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 00:40:38 EST

John,

> Your suggestions are great AL.  But look at all the #$%#@ that's involved
>  when we just try to replicate what the LDA does.
>
>  Every trick you mention is to replicate the Garbage Collection function of
>  a temporary, 'Unique to the job' , 'Clipboard type' , program to progam
>  communcation device that trancends the SBMJOB boundary.
>
>  Again I submit that no other mechanism possesses the following.

I would offer the choice of user spaces, which offer up to 16Mb of
information.

>  A) Automatically created by the OS for each unique job on the machine.

User spaces would, indeed, not do this.  However, write a couple of your own
API's and it would be transparent.

>  B) Can't be accessed by some other process/job (private)

Put your user spaces in QTEMP.

>  C) Trancends the SBMJOB boundary by the OS

Pass the user spaces to the submitted job in some manner.

>  D) Gets destroyed by the OS as soon as job is destroyed(garbage collection)

This one's why I suggested QTEMP.  More equitable solutions are available if
this weren't a requirement.

>  E) Is easily accessable by all programs in the job

Yep.

>  Jon P. you never offered a 'suitable' replacement either.
>
>  If you wish to debate its use,  I'll state some facts that will
>  scare you so much that you would never let PARAMETERS be used again for
>  program to program communication in your shop.

I'd like to hear _that_!  User spaces are not only good, have a 16Mb limit,
and easy to use, but can also be _INDEXED_.  Try it some time...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"I can't imagine why anyone would _need_ more than 640Kb of memory or 30Mb of
hard drive on a personal computer."  -- Bill Gates, author, "The Road Ahead"