  • Subject: Re: Restoring to V4R1
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:53:42 EST

Gary,

> Does anyone know what the process is for restoring an application from
>  my current V3R7 system to a separate V4R1 AS/400.  Can I simply do a
>  SAVLIB and corresponding RSTLIB or do  I need to worry about recompiling
>  my program objects?  What are some pitfalls that I should look out for?

I imagine that you've already gotten an answer (probably several), but AOL is
again holding my mail hostage further than three notes from here so I'll say
-- _up_ is easy, _down_ is hard.  V3R7 to V4R1 should be no problem, but going
the other way could cause problems if you've implemented new V4R1 features in
your code.  If you want to go the other way, be sure to specify a target
release (TGTRLS under F10 on the SAVxxx command) during the save -- any
objects utilizing new features will be excluded from the save (with a
message), thus alerting you to compatibility problems...

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"I can't imagine why anyone would _need_ more than 640Kb of memory or 30Mb of
hard drive on a personal computer."  -- Bill Gates, author, "The Road Ahead"