  • Subject: Re: Remote connection to the AS/400
  • From: jdraper@xxxxxxx (Jerry Draper)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:13:20 -0800 (PST)

>We are currently using a Perle 3i (connects via twinax) to connect remotely
to our AS/400 using Perle Talk for DOS Client.  Due to some problems with
the DOS Client and Windows 95 we looked into the price for the Perle Windows
Client.  Due to the expense of the software per license I thought that I
would see if anyone would be willing to share their alternative methods of
remote connection.  The connection is mainly used by our outside sales
people to run and print their sales reports etc. so it has to to somewhat
user friendly.

>Any ideas are welcome.

FYI:  Article from Synapse on their RemoteAPPC dialup to the AS400:

While few have seemed to notice, IBM's new RISC AS/400e models are missing
an important capability.   Apparently a consequence of a IBM's switch to the
PCI bus in these models, the absence of the ASCII work station controller
can pose a problem for those who want to migrate to the AS/400e but need
dial-in capability.   The good news?  Synapse has an even better solution --
faster, less expensive and more secure.

Synapse's Remote APPC is an advanced SNA gateway software package that
allows remote PC's to access an AS/400 through asynchronous modems.  Made up
of both client and server software, the product works with all models of the
AS/400, including AS/400e models.  It also provides access to an Advanced
System/36 if the AS/36 is equipped with a LAN adapter.

The server software is available as a two port software only version, or as
an eight or sixteen port software/hardware bundle.  Capable of handling up
to 32 simultaneous APPC conversations, the server can be any Windows-capable
PC (386 or better), and is attached to the AS/400 using token ring or
Ethernet LANs, twinax or SDLC.  The server PC, which needn't be dedicated to
Remote APPC, provides a firewall offering three levels of security,
including user ID and password, dial-back security and caller ID
verification.  Other unique features include user time scheduling and data
encryption.

The client side of Remote APPC, included as a standard feature of Synapse's
WinAPPC product,  provides bi-directional file transfer in addition to
display and printer emulation through a simple async dial-up link.
Supporting most Hayes-compatible modems and direct connections through modem
eliminators, the Remote APPC client offers speeds up to 115,000 bps, and is
compatible with Windows 3.x, Windows 95 or Windows NT.

Regard,

Jerry

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com