  • Subject: Re: CA/400 for Windows 95/NT 3.1.2
  • From: Danny McQuestion <dcmcques@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 14:01:24 -0600

I've got a mix....  We have Win95 & NT all TCP/IP (T/R or Ethernet), AS/400 v3r2
with TCP running over Ethernet (2 segments) and Token Ring (1 segment), Novell
Netware v3.12 and Novell IntranetWare v4.1x.

Windows 95, Client Access v3r1m2 (SF45545) and Novell v3.12 connectivity using
Ethernet and TCP/IP.  My network configuration has my Ethernet Card, MS TCP/IP
and the IPX/SPX protocol that came with Windows95.  No NETBIOS, to chatty!!!  I
have two connections configured for Client Acces.  One is for a plain TCP/IP
connection and the second is an ANYNET connection.  The TCP/IP connection is my
primary and the ANYNET connection was for testing.  During testing I would have
both started and running while being connected to my Novell v3.12 server.  I've
run the CA/Win95 TCP/IP, Win95 and NW v3.12 setup for over a year without any
problems.

Windows 95, Client Access v3r1m2 and Netware/IP (Novell IntranetWare v4.1x with
IntranetWare v2.1 client) connectivity using Ethernet or Token Ring and TCP/IP.
I'm not on the NWIP enviroment yet but we have many users that are.  Evidently
it
runs pretty stable or else I would know about it.  Client Access is a TCP/IP
connection only!!!

Home access we use this solution.  As a matter of fact, that is how I'm
connected
right now!Replace the Ethernet or Token Ring with a Dial-Up adapter.    The
communications stack for remote connectivity can only be TCP/IP because our
Raptor firewall runs on SPARC Ultra and the machine only knows how to deal with
IP packets.  We also run ANYNET to get printer usage and standard device names.
Plan to send the ANYNET  *with out*  the Netware/IP access to 50+ territory
offices.  They just need e-mail and AS/400 access (emulation and local printer
act as an AS/400 printer).  People using notebooks will get configurations with
plain TCP/IP because they do not need printer emulation.

Windows NT, Netware IntranetWare v4.1x, Client Access v3r1m2.  Configured for
nothing special.  Pretty much the same config as above but you have to use
NETBIOS.  Did not even load the Netware/IP client but I loose the NDIS features.
I'll probably load this down the road when I finally migrate to NT at my desktop
and to the NW v4.1x servers.

    The one thing that we have in common here is plain TCP/IP.  Why are you even
running MSDLC with NS/Router?  Multi-protocol stacks work great in Win95 and NT.
Ditch the MSDLC to the AS/400 and go with TCP/IP.
    Need access to Netware over the Internet?  Answer:  Netware/IP!  Again, a
TCP/IP connection!

If you need any furthur help or have any questions, let me know.

Danny Mc?