Hi,

I read this article recently, and was impressed with the insight.  I'd
thought I'd pass it on.  I admit that I had some problems getting the
electronic version from MC, so if there are any errors, I apologize.
(After all, that's why we use PCs for e-mail.  You can always blame the
folks at Eudora or Microsoft [an AS/400 customer - never forget]).  Lee
Kroon, the editor,  asked that I preface the article with the following
paragraph:

The following article by Thomas M. Stockwell originally appeared in the
January 1998 issue of AS/400 Technology SHOWCASE magazine, a publication of
Midrange Computing.

The Wings of Microsoft: Clipped or Pinned?

It's happening! Finally, the U.S. government has charged Microsoft with
unfair business practices and is seeking to penalize the Redmond,
Washington company a million dollars a day until it stops. Regardless of
your personal opinion regarding the quality of Microsoft's products, the
inventiveness of its software engineers, the genius of Bill Gates, or the
worthiness of the entire Microsoft organization, it's becoming clear that
Microsoft has taken sleazy advantage of its prominence in the PC operating
system marketplace. It has used its clout to stifle outside creativity,
dampen competition, bully OEM vendors, and treat its captive customers like
sheep slated for slaughter. At the heart of the Justice Department's suit
are two important legal questions. First, can Microsoft force companies to
purchase a product (Internet Explorer 4.0), regardless of the desires of
the customers? Second, can Microsoft prevent companies from complaining
about these practices to the government through its licensing agreements?
Microsoft, for its part, claims that it's just enhancing its operating
system environment and protecting company secrets. The Justice Department
says Explorer 4.0 is a de facto violation of a previous consent decree and
that the Microsoft licensing agreements are designed to thwart any effort
the government makes to regulate the industry. For those of us who use the
Microsoft Windows platforms in our businesses (and that's nearly everybody)
these questions represent more than a legal battle; they strike at the
heart of IT strategies, visions, hopes, and dreams.

Separating Good Software from Bad Business Practices

The industry has spoken: Microsoft makes good software. We use it daily to
help our organizations become more productive, to open new markets, to
empower our users, and to make good business decisions. Most of us spend
the majority of our time working inside one or more Microsoft software
products. It might be the Windows operating system, an Excel spreadsheet,
or a network powered by NT. Even if our organization's main computer is an
AS/400, we're still aware that Microsoft is mapping our road ahead because
it dominates the computer software industry.
For most of us in IT management, this dominance has created an interesting
question: Has our company really standardized on individual Microsoft
products, or has it merely standardized on Microsoft itself? If we look
across the organization onto each desktop and into each network server, the
question takes on a more sinister dimension. What would happen if Microsoft
actually lost the Justice Department's lawsuit? What if Microsoft were to
undergo a meltdown of the type that was inflicted upon AT&T 15 years ago?
After that lawsuit, organizations found themselves in turmoil because AT&T
was forced to reconfigure, disconnect, and re-establish the hardware and
software of every telephone communications network in the nation. Could
such a reconfiguration of our computing networks and our desktops be
dictated by a similar government intrusion? What would happen to our
information systems if the U.S. government severely clipped Microsoft's
wings?

It Could Never Happen! Or Could It?

It could never happen, you say. The government could never effectively stop
Microsoft. The user community would be up in arms, laws would be passed
exempting the software giant, and pressure would be exerted from the
highest echelons. Perhaps, but it's worthwhile to remember that our
companies don't legally own the software that runs on our PC networks; we
merely license it from the Microsoft Corporation. This places our
organizations at the center of a slippery debate about undue influence. Is
Microsoft unduly influencing our business decisions? If so, the Justice
Department's anti-trust suit has a strong precedent. Some students of
history remember it clearly. The memory of the 1956 United States vs. IBM
lawsuit is looming larger and larger these days.
In the early 1950s, the Justice Department's Anti-trust Division took IBM
to court for unfair market practices in its punch card tabulating machine
business. The lawsuit alleged that IBM had achieved its dominant market
position by excluding potential competition. The complaint exposed a
strategy by which IBM was achieving its market share by acquiring patents
and inventions made by others, by acquiring potential competitors, and by
running service bureaus to prevent customers from seeking products from
competitors. There are some striking parallels today as Microsoft continues
to acquire other software companies and ramps up its strategies with the
Internet Explorer and the MSN Internet Service.
IBM's past business practices have other similarities to Microsoft's
current way of doing things. At the time of the lawsuit, IBM would not
actually sell its equipment to customers, who were bound legally by a lease
contract, similar to a licensing agreement. According to that agreement,
IBM could actively prevent its customers from altering or customizing its
machinery. If a customer attempted to add new features through OEM
accessories IBM could confiscate the equipment and claim that its product
and property had been corrupted. The customer was further locked into Big
Blue's strategy because IBM controlled the used equipment market,
preventing the resale and reuse of older, obsolete models. It even
prevented spare parts from being sold to upgrade or repair older machines
and kept close inventory control over the actual circuit logic and
materials used to run the machines. IBM claimed that it needed to control
these elements of its architecture in order to assure compatibility and to
deliver the services that its customers demanded.
This is very similar to Microsoft's claim that it needs to maintain control
over its own operating system environment, allowing it to vouchsafe how
other software works within its operating system. It is doing this,
Microsoft claims, because it knows what its customers really need.
At the time of the United States lawsuit against IBM, most customers were
convinced that the manufacturer's wings could never be clipped. No one was
complaining that IBM made bad equipment, and most customers accepted IBM's
lease agreements as the price of doing business. Corporations were not
concerned that their computing platform didn't actually belong to them.
After all, they were buying from the best corporation in the business and
IBM's solutions worked. So what was the problem? Issues of compatibility
were nonexistent because computing standards were firmly dictated by IBM
itself. But most importantly, that's the way CEOs liked it: Decisions were
easier, costs were controlled, and the future was clearly defined. The road
ahead was paved and painted with big billboards that all read IBM.
Consequently, there was consensus among the technical and business gurus of
that time: The Justice Department's actions were unwarranted, misguided,
and abusive. But in truth, business had not really standardized on IBM
products at all, but on IBM itself. Business was happy with this lack of
choice because it was a comfortable and comforting fact of life.

The Case for Undue Business Influence

What finally made the government's case compelling was that IBM's market
share had grown to 95 percent. According to the complaint, IBM was so
preeminent that it was actually defining and controlling the environment of
its own marketplace. In other words, it was not responding to demand, but
manipulating the market to its own advantage, telling customers what they
needed and forcing them to comply. This was not only a violation of a
public trust, but a danger to the nation because business and industry had
grown dependent upon the infant technology called computing. The government
could not stand by idly and watch this danger grow.
This case was actively litigated for four years before IBM finally agreed,
in 1956, to its famous consent decree. In that decree, IBM consented to a
series of remedies that opened the market to OEM vendors and ended an era
of discrimination against users of competitive equipment. This in turn led
ultimately to the rise of competitive platforms, diversity in computing,
and finally to the PC revolution of the last 15 years. This consent decree
actually survived for 40 years until last summer when the U.S. government
finally vacated its complaint. That's right! Bill Gates has lived his
entire life under the IBM consent agreement, while for the last 40 years
IBM has been, in essence, under house arrest.

Old Signs Along the Road Ahead

Today, those of us who remember the IBM case sometimes look around and try
to imagine where the road IBM was charting would have led us. It was not
the world we see today, but it does have some striking similarities. It too
was a world populated by massive computing architectures, centralized and
controlled by a single corporate entity. It too was a client/server style
of environment in which all things were defined by the needs of IBM's own
central computing requirements, fed to its own internally defined systems
structures, orchestrated to meet its own corporate marketing strategies,
and designed to hit our organizations with progressively higher dues as it
rolled in the newer models of machines, year after year.
Just a few years ago, this image of corporate excess was still sending
shivers down the backs of most PC enthusiasts. Open systems and choice
were the battle cries of every IT professional in the industry, including
Bill Gates. But today, what IBM failed to achieve with its discredited
business strategy for hardware sales, Microsoft is now embracing with its
Internet strategy for Windows Internet Explorer 4.0 and Windows 98.
This leads us to the real meaning of the suit of the U.S. Justice
Department against Microsoft. This is not a suit of David vs. Goliath, but
of Good Products vs. Bad Business Practices: good products in the form of
the software that Microsoft delivers, bad business practices in the guise
of corporation-based standardization and mandatory embedded products. And
it's not just Microsoft's fault, but our own meaningless addiction and
dependency upon Microsoft as the single vendor with a vision of our IT
future. There are countless other vendors offering new opportunities for
automation and innovation; companies such as IBM, Lotus, Netscape, and even
Apple. Unless we in IT wake up to the reality of our standards-based
addiction to Microsoft, we will be headed for a terrible post-Microsoft
hangover. And unless Microsoft stops abusing our gullibility with illegal
anti-trust marketing strategies, it will probably lose the lawsuit and be
severely restricted in the future.
That's what happened to AT&T and IBM, too. I, for one, hope this does not
happen to Microsoft. Nevertheless, it's clear to me with every mandatory
software product embedded in each upgrade and software patches that further
tie my company into a closed proprietary environment that Microsoft is
definitely becoming a rogue player in a community of heterogeneous
operating systems. It's clear that Microsoft is not out to push the
envelope of productivity, but only to push its own operating system
hegemony.
I hope the company wakes up and changes its ways. It would be sad to lose
the brilliance of its talents. However, unless Microsoft changes its
marketing manners, it may discover its wings are not only clipped by the
Justice Department, but pinned by consent decrees that could last for
generations. It has happened before in our industry and I fear it's about
to happen again.

Thomas M. Stockwell is a senior technical editor for Midrange Computing and
the editor of the Client Access/400 Expert newsletter. Send Tom email at
stockwell@ midrangecomputing.com.

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting, LLC
400 > 390