  • Subject: Re: Soapbox: RPG Cycle
  • From: "Joe Teff" <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:18:49 -0600

Personal preferences are just that. Because I don't like COBOL, it doesn't make
COBOL bad. It just means that I don't like it. I think that part of the shop
standards should cover the use of the cycle if your shop is a RPG shop. You
then hire and train based on that as one of the requirements. I personally do
not use the cycle, preferring to code the logic myself. If, however, I went to
a shop that used the cycle, I would use it as well.

Joe Teff
QDS
Bloomington, MN
----------
 Bruce wrote:

 Well, I hadn't intended to start a riot about the Cycle.  From the responses
received so far, it seems I'm one of the few _not_ using it (at least on a
regular basis).  I learned the cycle in school, and at my first RPG position
(S/36 & RPG II) I started out only using the cycle.  This is the first time
I've heard such vehemence for _not_ using it!

 Obviously, every language, tool, etc., has it strengths/weaknesses.  I still
use it for the "quick-and-dirty" fixes/reports, but find structured-code much
easier to follow, including writing my own level breaks, especially for
maintenance purposes.  My arguments won't sway anyone who really wants to use
it, nor was that my intention...if you like it...use it.  I'm just expressing
my opinion.

 Now, as I'm about to go home for the rest of the year (gee, I wish it was
January 1 and I was still able to say that!), I'd better find some ice and
bandages to soothe my aching head.    ;-)