Bruce,

Just because a language has a feature that other languages don't
have is a good reason NOT to use that feature?  That's what your
first argument sounds like to me.

How well can a non-C++ programer understand a C++ program?  Not
very well is my guess.  Yes, they will figure out that:

If (a == b)
   {
   DoSomething(mystring);
   DoSomethingElse(yourstring);
   }

probably means that if a equals b, run a couple of procedures.
 BUT, if a is a pointer, and b is a pointer, then what it is
really saying is that "if a points to the same thing as b, then
DoSomething and then DoSomethingElse.  Which could possibly be
quite different.  And I won't even go into function or operator
overloading.

So, does that mean you should not use an If statement in C++?

And how many languages support Packed Decimal natively?  RPG is
the only one I know of.  So, make everything zoned?  I don't
think so.

Regarding conversion to other languages, if that is your goal,
then you shouldn't be using RPG.  C (not C++) would probably be
a better choice.  And when was the last time ANYBODY used
Fortran for LOB programming?  Why would you want to?

On your second statement regarding the difficulty of the RPG
Cycle, I disagree.  I suspect that you where looking at poor
documentation.  If a nice simple flowchart had been laid out
(with out some of the exotic parts of the cycle like Look Ahead
and Matching Records), it is fairly obvious what is going on.
 Especially when you compare it to the logic of your manually
coded reports.  Cause your logic is probably pretty much the
same!

Also, while it is true that in many shops, the Cycle is
verboten, that is not the case in my shop.

BTW the Cycle does still have a place, and that place is in the
Present.  In todays world of on-line programs, it is not used
near as much as in the old days, but it is still appropriate.

Regards,
Bob Crothers