A tourist walks into a pet shop in Silicon Valley, and is browsing round
the cages on display. While he s there, another customer walks in and
says to the shopkeeper,  I ll have a C monkey, please .
The shopkeeper nods, goes over to a cage at the side of the shop and
takes out a monkey. He fits a collar and leash and hands it to the
customer, saying  That ll be $5,000 . The customer pays and walks out
with his monkey.
Startled, the tourist goes over to the shopkeeper and says,  That was a
very expensive monkey most of them are only a few hundred dollars. Why
did it cost so much?
 Oh , says the shopkeeper,  that monkey can program in C with very fast,
tight code, no bugs, well worth the money.
The tourist starts to look at the monkeys in the cage.  He says to the
shopkeeper,  That one s even more expensive, $10,000! What does it do?
 Oh , says the shopkeeper,  that one s a C++ monkey; it can manage
object-oriented  programming, Visual C++, even some Java, all the really
useful stuff.
The tourist looks round for a little longer and sees a third monkey in a
cage on its own. The price tag round its neck says $50,000. He gasps to
the shopkeeper,  That one costs more than all the others put together!
What on earth does it do?
 Well,  says the shopkeeper,  I don t know if it does anything, but it
says it s a Consultant.

Happy Holidays.

Eric Kempter
Senior Programmer/Analyst