  • Subject: Re: Predictions, 1998
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:04:48 +0000

We have kicked around some ideas about the upcoming year and have some good and
bad feelings about what may be ahead.

We can't speak for the in-house staff since that's not our place in the world,
but
we can echo some of what we've heard there.

Here's our top ten for 1998:  (now we've had a couple of rum balls before
writing
this so....)

1) Early 1998 will see no real changes over the past year.  Denial of budget
increases for Y2K projects.  Few truly believe that the 486/66 bought in 1990
will
be the weak link that brings down a egocentric enterprise. Never mind that an
amortized cost of investment amounts to $<3 per month!  And to replace it and
run
it for the same time period would be $<1.  Someone is focused on current quarter
returns and the Y2K investment isn't going to happen on their clock.  They
weren't
here when the current situation was created so they won't pay to fix it. The
swine!

2) IBM will continue to create superior products that no one but the Fortune 500
(and technocrats) know about.  IBM is too busy selling mainframes to bother with
an overlapping product like the AS/400.  It's still viewed as a "departmental"
processor.

3) We (those that support the AS/400) will survive, adapt, grow and prove (by
example) that Darwin was right.

4) Some will make money from writing about what is occurring/ could occur/
should
occur/ would have occurred/ might have occurred/ you're afraid will occur/ and
the
buyers like a good story teller then they go back to work.  (Others will publish
technical works that get printed the day before a new release is announced so
what
they have to say doesn't mean squat)

5) Rock star marries super model.

6) Child actor has drug problem.

7) Elvis is sighted in a remote town buying sunglasses.

8) A Holy image appears in a mold pattern behind a refrigerator.

9) The government (you pick 'em: federal, state, local) passes some really,
really, stupid law concerning computers, privacy, copyright, access, etc. that
makes you want to cancel your newspaper subscription and vote for Pat Paulson
because he's just about as dumb but at least he has a sense of humor about it.

10) The sun comes up and we all get back to work at doing what we love the
most....solving problems...wait a minute...we were doing that when the sun went
down...darn we missed the sun again today! ;-)

Peace and Happy Holidays to all.

P.S. Darn good rum balls!