  • Subject: Re: Remote AS/400 Console
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:45:22 -0500

Greg Thielen wrote:

> Al,
>
> SAVSYS does _not_ have to be run from the console.  I used to do
> this--and have recovered using it.  The rule is that it must be run from
> the only interactive job (meaning restricted state) in the controlling
> subsystem.  The way this is done is to make sure there is an AT(*ENTER)
> workstation entry in the controlling subsystem for your terminal, then
> TFRJOB to it.  Once you're in the controlling subsystem, you can issue a
> ENDSBS *ALL to get the machine into a restricted state.  Be careful to
> NOT do an ENDSYS, as this must be run from the console and will kill you
> (well, your job anyway) if not.

Just to verify the discussion, here is the blurb from the Work Management Guide
regarding restricted condition.

4.19.1 The Restricted Condition

If the controlling subsystem is being ended, it goes into a restricted
condition.  The controlling subsystem is ended by either
specifying its name or *ALL on the ENDSBS command or typing the ENDSYS command.
To end the controlling subsystem, the
ENDSBS or ENDSYS command is sent from an interactive job in the controlling
subsystem, and only from a workstation whose
entry in the controlling subsystem description specifies AT(*SIGNON).  The
interactive job from which the command was issued
remains active when the controlling subsystem goes into a restricted condition.
If the job issuing the command is one of two jobs
that are active at the workstation (using the System Request key or the
TFRSECJOB
command), neither of the jobs is forced to end.
However, the controlling subsystem does not end for the restricted condition
until you end one of the jobs.  Suspending group jobs also
prevents the controlling subsystem from ending (until the group jobs are ended).

When the controlling subsystem is in the restricted condition, most of the
activity on the system has ended, and only one workstation
is active.  The system must be in this condition for commands such as Save
System
(SAVSYS) or Reclaim Storage (RCLSTG) to run.
Some programs for diagnosing equipment problems also require the controlling
subsystem to be in a restricted condition.  To end this
condition, you must start the controlling subsystem again.

Also, it is important to remember UPS is inactive during the restricted
condition.   For the UPS to be active, you need to specify that as a break
handling program during the restricted condition.  (Discussion on UPS and
workaround can be found in the OS/400 Advanced Backup and Recovery Guide)

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net