I think one of the better options, if you can afford to do it and schedule
it in time, is to through out your existing application set and simply
purchase newer, year-2000 compliant applications. In a lot of situations, it
is simply too late to start working on Y2K issue now. If companies felt it
wasn't important enough to do by now, then they either have a very easy job
ahead of them, or they aren't going to be affected by the issue anyway.

On the other hand, if they've been waiting for a flying saucer to come down
from the heavens and save them at the last minute, then they deserve to pay
the fair market price for the software. I think the Y2K solution providers
have every right to continue to raise their prices each and every month, by
as much as 20 percent. It's called "supply and demand".

As for ByPass 2000 and it's method of identifying the type of date format
codes to assign to database date fields... well in a word or two, it SUCKS!
Unless it was modified from the previous release, I can't think of any
product that is more difficult to use to assign a format code to a value.

Now then, this one issue aside. I think ByPass 2K is a very good solution
for year 2000 conversion. There are others, however, such as Century Update
from ASC. But ByPass is the most thorough of the tools. It doesn't miss very
much if anything at all. If you can look past that one user-interface
problem, it's the tool to use.

And, considering that you're only going to do this once, I suppose one could
say, "who cares" if assigning format codes is labor intensive.

I will make one recommendation. Buy another AS/400 on which to do your Y2k
conversion. Especially if you us ByPass. Get a little S20 or whatever the
medium module number is, and do the conversion there. ByPass 2K is written
mainly with SQL Cobol, so the performance is, well, shall we say "resource
intensive".  <vbg> But again, who cares, you're only going to do this
once... unless you change jobs and avoid the issue altogether. <g>

Bob Cozzi
BobCozzi@ibm.net
www.RPGIV.com