  • Subject: Re: Remote AS/400 Console
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:14:26 -0500

Bob Crothers wrote:

> I am pretty sure that you can take the system to a restricted
> state from ANY terminal.  It does not have to be Port 0 address
> 0 of the first WSC.  But, the job MUST be in the controling
> subsystem.  And normally, the device that defaults to the
> controling subsystem is the console.
>
> But, you can transfer an interactive job out of QINTER and into
> the controling subsysem by a) ending any sysrqs jobs, b) ending
> any group jobs (attention key stuff) you have active, and then
> c) doing a TFRJOB JOBQ(QCTL).
>
> Now you can take the system to a restricted state.
>
> However, either the put it in a program and run from the console
> as I meantion below or the go backup and use a "start" time
> method is probably a much safer method of doing what is desired.

This method will work for locally attached terminals.  If remote communication
is
used, you need to use ASCII controller terminal to be the console (as somebody
suggested earlier).  The restricted state requires the shutdown of all
subsystems
other than controlling subsystem (QCTL or QBASE).  You will never get the
message
"System ended to restricted condition" if you try monkeying with transferring
jobs into the controlling subsystem.   I just wish IBM provided a way to get
QCMN
tasks into the controlling subsystem without ending them for restricted
condition.  Oh well...

--
Thank You.

Regards