  • Subject: RE: Performance Monitoring
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:03:21 -0700

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Jeffrey M. Carey [SMTP:jeffreycarey@usa.net]
        Sent:   Wednesday, December 10, 1997 10:38 AM
        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

        One problem with this method would be that the observation would
enhance
        the problem (one reason to secure WRKACTJOB, WRKSYSSTS and
WRKSYSACT -
        when performance is bad, if more than one person goes into any
of those,
        it could make things much worse).

        Pfrmon itself cause a big system hit when starting and stopping
        (esecially if it is set to dump the trace data).

        My suggestion would be to run pfrmon over longer periods, then
go back
        and look at reports for just the times that were bad.  You
should
        collect trace data, but dump it during off-peak hours.  Until
you've got
        it refined, try running pfrmon from a half hour before most
users signon
        until a half hour after they are off.  Just remember to clear
the
        performance data library after reporting - you might want to
point
        pfrmon to something other than QPFRDATA, so you can just clear
the
        library without the chance of wiping out the monitor settings
(which are
        stored in QPFRDATA) - this might be easier than DLRPFRDTA.

There are empty shell files in QSYS that are used to recreate the
QPFRDATA files if you have done a CLRLIB QPFRDATA.

... Neil Palmer                                     AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada     ____________          ___  ~
... Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada     |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
... Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238      oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
... mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com          http://www.NxTrend.com