  • Subject: Re: CISC to RISC - why user data restore before LIC PGMS?
  • From: "Peter H. O'Connor" <102736.3535@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:01:57 -0500

Message text written by INTERNET:MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

Scott asks:

>Now it makes more sense what IBM is having done here.  I will have the
*production* userdata, our vendor products, and our CISC LPP's on the
machine
before I install the RISC LPP's.  (We have done exactly what you mentioned
-
deleted S36 and S38 features, etc on the CISC system).

But it is not feasible for us the rent all the disk we would need to have
the
RISC and CISC systems contain the same data.  So while I am following the
roadmap otherwise, this is technically a deviation.  I will also be limited
in
not always being able to use a Enhanced Upgrade Assistant option, for
example,
using EUA to restore the system.  Instead of having it perform a RSTLIB
*NONSYS, I will have to perform a RSTLIB *IBM followed by a RSTLIB (list of
libraries).

I have spoken to IBM (through our Support Center contract), and the person
there assured me what I'm doing should be no problem.  But I'm always wary
of
that response given so easily.

Any comments?  Is this workable, or headed for certain disaster?
<

What you have to be aware of is that there are some files and the library
QUPGRADE which has to be saved to tape.   These are the first files and
library saved before saving all *NONSYS.  This data/library is saved when
you take the option to do the final save.  If this stuff is not saved, you
will be in trouble.  Also make sure once you have restored QGPL/QUSRSYS
that you do not restored that library again because it will blow away your
system.  Once these libraries go down on RISC and the native RISC library
is restore old CISC version of these two libraries cannot be rerestored.  I
had a client  doing conversion and ESTOBJCVN said 68 hours.  He did it in 3
hours.  Not bad!

Peter H . O'Connor
PAE Inc.
7 Riverway Rd.