  • Subject: Re: IDDU, S36 & AS/400 SQL & RPG -Reply
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:21:01 -0500

RE:     Re: IDDU, S36 & AS/400 SQL & RPG -Reply

Buck C. said;
>Actually, there *is* a difference in the created file.  I didn't believe that
>an SQL file was any different from a DDS file until I tried this:
>create table test (key numeric(5,0),name char(30))
>chgpf test maxmbrs(2)
>It bombs and tells me that I can't change an SQL table to be multiple
>members (at least it does on V4)... CPD3213...
>  SQL tables, views, indexes, and non-SQL files that are in an SQL data base
>must have only one member; however, the value that you specified on the
>maximum number of members (MAXMBRS) parameter is either a number greater
>than one or *NOMAX.  For more information about SQL tables, views and
>indexes, see the Programming: Structured Query Language Programmer's Guide,
>SC41-9609.
>Buck Calabro

I stand corrected,  (like I said, I was not on a machine to try this).
I guess you can't CHGPF to have multiple members.
I use SQL alot(interactive & embedded)  but always on DDS files.
I have created them via CREATE TABLE but just for curiousity sake
not for production.

I remember early releases of OS/400 where you could not create a
table outside of a COLLECTION (CREATE COLLECTION) ie in a normal library.

COLLECTIONS are to LIBRARIES as TABLES are to PHYSICAL FILES.

Then later on (V2-ish) you could CREATE TABLE and have it placed into
a normal library.

I sent this thread to an IBM DB2/400 person I know to see if he could offer
any info.

John Carr
EdgeTech