Hi All

Ok  I have working RPG programs that can READ from and WRITE to the IFS
directly
using API's  (Thanks Jon, Ray, and Ted).

I can make/writeto  .TXT types and .CSV types and can Read from most any
type.

I would like to read a AS/400 data base file and "Drop" that info straight
into an Excel  .XLS
type file.  (I know what you're gonna say,  Good luck).    I have Read in a
simple spread sheet
with only 2 rows and 3 columns just to look at the stuff in debug as it was
comming across.    Weird stuff.

My question is;  does anyone know how to figure out the "File Layout" of
various PC file types?
Most importantly a .XLS spreadsheet type?

It's like ""working with a program described file which only contains
binary & alpha fields and you don't
have the layout or manual""      I can reverse engineer what the different
bytes are but it would take a
lot of time.

Anybody have a clue as to how to go about this??

TIA

BTW  the programs are really NEAT stuff.   I can read in a PF (which I have
filled via a CPYFRMSPLF
 report.  and then write that stuff directly to a .TXT type file on the IFS
directory  which then can be
used by users to read or email(via attachments).    Neat stuff

John Carr
EdgeTech