  • Subject: Remote TCP/IP connection using TN5250 or browser JAVA applet
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:47:07 +0000

Well, I'm coming out of the peanut gallery to actually ask a question.
(Be kind)

I have an install site with a model 200 at V3R2, 1 ECS line, AWC, TWINAX
connected PC's (486/100) using Andrew PCTWIN DOS mode, no CA, no LAN.
They just purchased another company in another town (3 hours drive)
which has a PC network (6 - 486/66).  Don't know all of the particulars,
but PC's are running WFWG 3.11, coax daisy chain cabling, and I spotted
a Lantastic install icon on one of the screens.

At first shot, looked into frame relay connection.  Two different phone
companies, told 6-8 weeks.  No can do.  Called ISP in remote town to
prepare plan for persistent internet connection.  No word back yet.

The parent company is looking to buy two more companies in 1998, and I
believe that using the internet for multiple remote connections will
cost less in the long haul.  Need to know where to get started.  Am
planning to install a model 150 in our office to act as firewall.  We
are in the same town as the parent company.

Here's the questions:

1. Redbooks for information.  If we know the Fine Manual, we'll read it.

2. What's the lowest cost of ownership for LAN equipment and connection
for a small remote site to ISP @ 56K.  They have need for each user to
perform word processing/spread sheets locally, yet do 5250 to AS/400 for
line of operation processing.  Will keep desktop 486/66, but will
install server.  Will replace NICs and cable if necessary.

3. If we use TCP/IP would a browser JAVA applet work as well as TN5250?
In either case, what are you using and are the users happy.  The remote
site provides customer support for approx. 6,000 customers (garbage
hauler), so the processing traffic is low to do real time updates on
parent company's 400.  No FTP requirements, but do need remote print
capability and 8/5 connection.

4. For the 150, we are looking to connect @ 56K/128K to a local ISP.
Have a blank check, what's the shopping list.  Parent company want's
customers to be able to connect for account inquiry.  Would we be better
off skipping the ISP and getting a direct phone company connection?

5. For the 200, need connection to the 150 also @56K.  What's involved?
Same blank check.

The more parts list, the better.  Retrieved source to create objects
would make my holidays! Taking bids.  Last year they bought a company in
same town and just Borged their office, still had to work Thanksgiving,
Christmas, New Years.....hate those Jan 2 live deadlines. :(

TIA

P.S. The 150 in our office just might find it's way into selling
additional connections and web hosting.  Have other clients looking for
customer access to their 400.