At 01:06 PM 12/3/1997 -0400, you wrote:

>Lance --
>
>You, sir, have QUITE an undertaking.

-snip- with which I heartily agree

>And as far as "heads down" data entry; why is it assumed that a green
screen is
>faster? In fact, a client/server program and perform validation routines
at the
>local workstation, sometimes without even touching the server. It is not a
>given that a client/server model is necessarily a poor high-volume performer.

When I discuss speed and "headsdown", I mean operator entry speed, not
process speed. My own experience has demonstrated this to me—a mouse-only
interface is 'eye-driven', requiring constant attention to the screen. I've
also spoken with some of our people who can literally fly through green
screens and find mouse-driven screens to be extremely slow.

That's why I agree with you completely when you said, be sure there's a
keyboard way to get around.

The same question of speed comes up between, say, Java and C++, e.g. For
raw processing, C++ has the advantage. But very few applications do
continuous raw processing. Most are waiting for user input, and, as someone
said, waiting goes just as fast, no matter the computer.

>If it were my choice, I'd already be leaning toward a Java-based solution.
This
>is the future, and that's where I want to be <g>.

Me, too.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480