  • Subject: LDA View (was Re: View the LDA)
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 10:17:59 -0500

RE:     LDA View (was Re: View the  LDA)

>>someone asked;
>> Was LDA & Qtemp
>> Is it true that LDA is a data area created in Qtemp?

I Said;
>  How many people would love it if IBM gave us a option on DSPJOB to
>  view the LDA?

>Dean Said;
>Steve Glanstein knows how to do so now.  Rightly so, he doesn't share it with
>the list for security reasons...

Ya,  I bet it involves setting the job's program message queue to BREAK
mode,  and sending a *RQS type message to the job to do a command(like
the mentioned "DSPDTAARA *LDA" )  or other techniques to look into
the variable storage area of the running job.   Not the kind of stuff you'd
like to
show every tom, dick, & hacker.

I don't know why Rochester never gave us that from the very beginning.
You can see the job switches for crying out loud.  But with the priorities
now in place we will never see it on the DSPJOB command.  Rochester &
Toronto don't like the LDA (right Jon?).  But they will NEVER take it away
'cause 80% of the systems will not run no more.

I view the LDA as the AS/400 CLIPBOARD.  In windows when you click on COPY
the program you're in doesn't know what you will do with it.  And when
you say PASTE the program you're putting it in doesn't know(or care) what
program put the stuff there.  JUST LIKE THE LDA.  I just wish they would
allow it to be bigger or expandable like the CLIPBOARD.

Name another EASY TO USE(Jon) program to program communcation facility that
has the following attributes;

1. Unique for each job on the machine.
2. Automatically created by the operating system.
3. Automatically distroyed by the operating system.
4. EASILY available to each program in the job.
5. Trancends the SBMJOB boundary.

John Carr

P.S. If you do use it, you're nuts if you don't use it via an externally
described Data Structure.