  • Subject: RE: CLEAR Opcode?
  • From: "Kahn, David (kahn)" <KAHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:43:58 +0500

I have the impression that many of the users of this technique
mistakenly believe it's more efficient. I seem to remember messages on
this list about coding to avoid a series of data structure subfields and
alphanumeric moves. It's only one instruction, so it must be better!

The second reason it's popular, I think, is that programmers by nature
enjoy demonstrating to other programmers how smart they are. It's a kind
of badge used to identify oneself as a member of the clever programmers
club.

Dave Kahn, TCO, Kazakstan
=========

kahn@tengizchevroil.com   (to November 25)