  • Subject: RE: 5494 Token Ring/Ethernet to Twinax Connectivity
  • From: "Shoaf, Jack" <jshoaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:50:27 -0500

This is absolutely FALSE unless the devices are truly at a remote
location connected via a LAN bridge etc. IBM told us the same thing and
when we hooked ours up when converting from a F45 to 53S and found the
60+ twinax devices wouldn't come up IBM finally admitted this will not
work in a local environment.  To make it work we hooked up a small
AS/400 model 400 stripped to the bones to act as a communications
controller to our 53S server and the twinax devices pass-thru to the 53S
automatically at sign on.  The other alternative was to give  back the
53s and install an expensive 530 model.  This alternative would have
been approx $1 million + more!.  We went with the lower priced spread !
It works great.  Much kudos to Al Barsa for comming up with this
approach.  This was bout a year ago but I don't think IBM has changed
this (in)capability.  Tread softly and be very sure...you don't want to
find out the way we did.

P. S. we then quickly sold our new 5494 which greatly off set the cost
of the Model 400.