Lou,

I BELIEVE the UK Post Code rules are as follows (UK readers are welcome
to correct any errors):

The Post Code varies in length from 5 to 7 characters.  The last three
are always separated from the first 2, 3 or 4 by a space.
The format of the Post Code (where a=Alpha, n=Numeric, e=Either) is
always:
aeee naa

The first letter (or two letters) designate the general area of the UK,
county, or nearest major city.

The various formats you will see (difference in first portion only)
are:

Post Code Format                        Example
Area/City
aan naa                                 PE2 9NP
Peterborough
                                                        YO1 1YA
        York
                                                        TS5 5JL
        Teesside
                                                        IV2 4SG
        Inverness
                                                        CF1 9HD
        Cardiff
                                                        BT2 7AP
        Belfast
                                                        NW1 2HP
        London (North-West)

aann naa                                        TR16 5AU
        Truro
                                                        NR13 4PN
                Norwich
                                                        LE87 4AB
                Leicestershire
                                                        RG10 9NF
                Reading
                                                        SE19 2LT
                London (South-East)

aana naa                                        WC2R 0AA
        London (West-Central)

an naa                                          B1 2HF
        Birmingham
                                                        G3 8HT
                Glasgow

ann naa                                 B33 0NW
Birmingham

Apart from the cities that had their own zone codes prior to
introduction of the Post Code throughout the UK, all areas appear to
follow the 'aan naa' or 'aann naa' format.  Cities that used to have
their own codes have had these incorporated into the Post Code.  For
example:

City                            Old Code/Area
New Code
London                  NW1     (North-West 1)                  NW1 naa
London                  WC2     (West-Central 2)                WC2a naa
Birmingham              B1
        B1 naa
Birmingham              B33
        B33 naa

... Neil Palmer                                     AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada     ____________          ___  ~
... Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada     |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
... Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238      oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
... mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com          http://www.NxTrend.com