Carole Houghton wrote:

> On 15 Oct 97 at 17:38, Chris Cole wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Has anyone got an IBM NC successfully working to an AS/400.  I have two
> > problems:
> >
> > 1.  The NC won't connect with the AS/400 (via MAC address) if I set the
> > NC to boot from the network.  If I set the AS/400's TCP/IP address in
> > NVRAM it downloads the kernel OK.
> >
> > 2.  After downloading the kernel it should download the login script.
> > It falls over at this point becuase it can't find the login.nws at
> > /qibm/proddata/networkstation/mods/login.nws.  It has already downloaded
> > the fonts from another /qibm path.
> >
> > I am connecting via Ethernet and am fairly sure that I have set
> > everything correctly.  I can telnet from the NC to the AS/400.
> > The result on the NC is that it bombs into the User Services screen and
> > not into the Network Station Manager screen.
> >
> Chris
> Do you have a switch in the equation?  I have been working with a
> switch vendor (OLICOM)  and IBM's TCP/IP group for over a month
> trying to connect IBM Netstations.  I do have token ring rather than
> ethernet but wonder if the problem could be the same?  If we remove
> the switch from the network so we have one big ring, the network
> station connects just fine.  Unfortunately, one big ring is very
> difficult to trouble shoot so we use the switch to divide it up into
> multiple small rings or segments.  We have absolutely no trouble with
> all varieties of PC's (3.1,3.11, NT, Win 95 and OS2).  But, the
> netstation will not work this way.  Switching is becoming more and
> more common, so this definitely needs a solution.  (And netstations
> were suppose to make things easier!!)
> Carole Houghton

I have been doing this for the last couple of weeks & you do tend to
get strange results, although the last one I hooked up, required less
than the first two..... I took this one out of the box, set the address
on the 400 using wrkbptbl & fired it up.... It booted correctly and I
got
a login screen.... I did find out Friday that you CAN NOT USE a station
with 8 meg. of memory for anything but 5250 emulation, you will need at
least
16 meg to load Network Station Manager... although I have NOT got that
to work
yet... Currently getting A R.N.S. error that says it can't find the
HOST.....

I have 4 boxes up & running and 3 of them are doing fine.... I have one
that keeps
losing network address and has to be rebooted after logoff.... PTF's
seem to have
a LOT to do with this and I am loading Cum tape on Tuesday night....

I hooked the last 2 devices up through an NT server which made
everything  run slower
although I don't have a clue as to why.......

We are going to attempt to bring WinCenter Pro & 5250 up this week if I
can
ever get to Network Station Manager........

Send me a note & I'll keep you posted.....