  • Subject: Re: Doctoring Spin with a Sample Ad
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:03:16 -0400

>Caption Head: Which one do you want your business depending on?
>Caption Body: <blurb about AS/400 uptime and scalablility>

Very good, Peter. I saved it.

I have a couple ideas, but not for print ads. I was trying to think of
something that might be shown during golf on weekends (where I see most of
the IBM ads that I see).

My first idea starts with four elderly (mid to late 60s, not too old)
golfers teeing off. One in blue, one in green, one in red, and one in
orange. Not overpowering colors, just golf clothes.

The first three tee off and then Mr. Orange addresses the ball, clutches
his chest, and drops to the ground. The others rush to the fallen player
and crowd around. They look at each other for a moment without speaking.

Next scene shows them putting at the 6th green, Mr. Green is holding the
flag while Mr. Blue putts. Mr. Red looks on and in the background is a
golf cart with Mr. Orange's feet sticking out. Mr. Red keels over. Green
and Blue look at body, and then each other.

Next scene Mr. Blue and Mr. Green stop the cart on a fairway. Orange and
Red feet sticking out from back of cart. As Mr. Blue walks toward ball,
Mr. Green clutches at chest and falls out of cart.

Final scene, Mr. Blue sinks putt on 18. Red, Green, and Orange feet
sticking out of back of cart. He retrieves ball and walks toward cart.
Voice over, "When selecting a pacemaker, reliability is of primary
importance."

Cut to an AS/400 (or maybe just a logo screen). Voice over, "IBM's AS/400,
because your information system _is_ the pacemaker for your enterprise."

My second idea is probably less contraversial.

Solid white featureless background (no horizon) spotted by a number of
different colored non-descript businesses. There aren't any walls or
doors, so people could easily walk to any business. There are no
customers, just employees sharpening pencils, doing filing, etc.

On one side of this non-descript space, a bunch of doors open to a
clanging, similar to horses being released at a race track but much
bigger. Customers spring from the doors and rush toward the businesses.
Their approach causes a deep rumbling and earth shaking. All the employees
at all the businesses except the blue one futily attempt to keep their
equipment in place. Desks crumple, file cabinets topple. By the time the
customers get to the businesses, there is only one still standing.

The employees at the blue business happily begin servicing customers and
collecting money (or whatever).

Voice over, "To survive today's demanding marketplace, you will need to
build your business on the right foundation."

Cut to the AS/400. Voice over, "IBM's AS/400. Scalable, reliable, proven.
The foundation for a lasting enterprise."

>Peter H. Coffin

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net
You have to ask yourself, "How often can I afford to be unexpectedly out of
business?"
Get an AS/400.