  • Subject: Re: IBM Spin Doctors on AS/400 Marketing
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:50:31 +0100

Al Barsa, Jr. wrote:

<<snip>>

> IBM would like you
> to feel that this is a Business Partner issue, however this is a
> diversionary tactic.  This is the equivalent of putting their heads in the
> sand. (You would need a big desert, *SAHARA.)

And it's amazing how long IBM will hold a grudge.....

At the announcement of the AS/400 we had a prospect that we configured
to a B50...3 warehouses, 27 retail stores......

IBM sent in one of their reps and sold them a B10....now who DIDN'T
complain about the performance of a B10?

Years later, while talking to an IBM rep, I was told I, yes I, had to
distance myself from this account...never mind that they had been using
this B10 for 5 years, upgraded to a newer version of our applications
and their only real discontent was when they realised that a B10 was not
going to support 27 remote locations in real time.

IBM's attempts to wipe their dirt off on anyone ELSE around is
historical and really demonstrates a "head in the sand" mentality.  And
that's a shame because they have such a damn good product!

I personally feel no ill will about the whole thing, both IBM and my
company made money on the deal.  What we lost was a referral and repeat
hardware business.  And it could have been sweet for everyone concerned.

I know that "It's the marketing" has become a new slogan for expanding
the AS/400 base, but my experience is that marketing does get you in the
door, while support keeps you there.  My concern is if IBM hangs their
Business Parters out to dry in a marketing push (which has meant under
sell in the past) they may very well damage their support base.  IMHO
the market perceived IBM and support to go hand in hand and I don't
think that opinion is as widely held as it once was.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this, but I do get an uneasy
feeling when too much focus is placed on a singular aspect of a broader
picture.  The AS/400 does not represent a significant portion of IBM's
revenues...it could, but it doesn't....so we can only expect so much
from them.

Quite frankly I lack confidence in that they know how to sell to the
AS/400 community.  IBM's real background is in the big iron.  For the
shops we support, it's more about the people than the technology.

PISSANDMOAN(*OFF)