  • Subject: Re: telecommuting
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 23:11:30 -0700

boothm@ibm.net wrote:

> I'd like to assemble a listing of positive reasons that AS/400 shops
> should consider using telecommuting as one tool in their programming tool
> kit.  Has anyone ideas on this subject they'd willingly share?

> Booth Martin
I am doing some telecommuting. I support clients in Illinois, Missouri,
Washington, Utah, Iowa, and Texas. I do this from a remote office with
several other consultants here in Texas. We have a LAN attached via T1
line to a host in another state. That host is part of a 6 machine
complex that is actually in two different states!

Other access is from the home office using 33.6 Dial-up to 800 number.
Only drawback here is that we have to connect via a different number for
E-mail access. I created a rule in the e-mail system to forward critical
messages to my Alpha Pager, so I won't miss important messages.

Benefits -
1. Communicating via Fax/Email/Voice seems to require that
specifications are more detailed. I think it is because the other party
can't just pop into the office everytime they think of a new
requirement.
2. Client companies get my expertis. I have worked for up to a year at a
time for out of state clients. The time away from the family is a
killer. I provide the same service at a lower rate for tele-c clients.
(No housing, no travel expenses)
3. Client does not have to provide office space, secretarial support,
supplies.
4. Quality of effort is better. If I am not in the right frame of mind
to solve a problem, I siiignoff and take care of "family matters". No
leaving work to take care of the Cable guy, car service, etc.
5. 25 x 8 coverage (Or it just seems that way) Wiith pager and cellular
phone, help is just moments away.
6. Less impact on computer resources. Besides providing PC, Printers,
Modems and software (Including NetSoft's connectivity package), I often
work in the evening. Several of the systems are idle during these times,
so I get great response, and do not impact the daily production user's.
7. I can smoke in my office! (Our remote office is in a no smoking
building.) I don't have to break from the task at hand to indulge my
habit. (Non-smoker's, please disregard)
8. Save 1:30 of travelling and $4.50 in tolls every day, not to mention
wear and tear on the truck. And that's time I can use for more work or
family time

Some people need the face to face of the office. Some managers are not
comfortable with invisible workers.
I usually prove myself on site with a new client. I will then start
working off shift (evening) remotely.
When the client is comforable with this level of telecommuting, we then
discuss full time telecommuting. Usually the client is receptive.
--
Bob Larkin
Larkin Computer Consulting