  • Subject: Re: The Greying of COMMON
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 22:25:56 -0700

At 12:10 AM 10/2/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Why can't things like MAPICS be used with management cirriculums in
>colleges...ergo, a 400...Query...?   Ditto for JDE...BPCS....and other
>promenant software packages for other industries?  Thereby giving college
>students hands on classroom experience with industry standardized
>software? (yup, marketing...)

Oooh! Don, This is a very strong idea.

>One of the things we as a Users Group Board will be reviewing in our
>annual planning meeting this fall is education resources.  And one of the
>items that will be on the adjenda will be the idea of holding a series of
>non-credit informal classes on such topics as RPG, screens, CL, etc.
>We're not going to make master programmers...but perhaps we can help the
>members of our LUG turn operators or non-experienced (to the 400) pgmr's
>into junior RPG/CL/400 programmers...and from there they can RTFM and ask
>the same dumb questions we all did back then...  We're not gonna make any
>money per se in this venture, but we'll probably help our group base and
>perhaps keep a few members on this product line.

As I already stated, this is how I beleive the problem will get fixed.
Kudo's to you and your group for stepping uyp to the challenge.

BTW, about two hours after I sent my original post on what we're doing with
AS/400 education, I had an IBM'er from Partners In Education on my Voice
mail.  This is a good sign.  I do believe these people are serious :)

jte
* John Earl             Lighthouse Software Inc.*
* johnearl@lns400.com   8514 71st NW            *
* 206.858.7388          Gig Harbor, WA 98335    *

And now a little Spam Bait for the
automatic mail readers:

Chairman Reed Hundt:            rhundt@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello:      jquello@fcc.gov