  • Subject: Re: VRPG And/Or Java
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 19:04:30 -0400 (EDT)

Ed,

<<HUMONGOUS snip>>
> My biggest problems with learning Java, as an AS/400 RPG programmeer have

>  been:
>
>  OOP concepts.  These take time and effort.  But keep at 'em.  They're
>  making sense to me.  Every so often I still scratch my head, but slowly
>  but surely...
>
>  Java syntax.  You'll get your fingers burned on '=' and '=='.  (Single
>  equals for assignment, double equals for checking equality.)
>
>  Setting up Java.  If you use the JDK, be warned!  You have to do some
>  configuration after you install Java.  Mostly, setting up the CLASSPATH
>  environment variable, and making sure the Java\Bin directory is in the
>  path.
>
>  The integrated development environment.  If you use the JDK, you don't
>  get an IDE similar to Microsoft's Visual J++ or JBuilder or Symantec
>  Cafe.  To edit files and compile programs, you must use a text editor and

>  DOS command-line arguments.  This can be extremely frustrating.  (The
>  Microsoft book _Learn Java Now!_ provides a version of the Microsoft
>  Developer's Studio that has Java 1.0.  I've used this for awhile, and I
>  quite like it.)

Odd that this book even exists, given MicroSquash's recent snub of JAVA!

>  Learning materials may not match the release of Java supplied.  The most

>  current release of Java is 1.1.3 (I think).  Many books still only cover

>  Java 1.0.  Some books with Java on CD ROM discuss Java 1.1 concepts, but

>  only have a 1.0 compiler.
>
>  If you're at all curious, I recommend a book called _Core Java_ by Gary
>  Cornell & Cay S. Horstmann.  The book goes to great lengths to explain
>  OOP concepts practically (something that most programming books don't
>  have), and has a bit of humor in it (something that most programming
>  books also don't have), and then discusses Java as a useful language,
>  with some good examples.

Thanks for the info!

>  I say give it a go.  It's not expensive, it's kinda fun once you get
>  going, and you can crack into the world of OOP without having to go into

>  the C lion's den.
>
>  End of EXTREMELY long rant...
>
>  Thanks.  Look after yerselves...

Thank YOU, and do the same...

Sincerely,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
(Between Raleigh and Research Triangle Park)
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"There is no greater loan than a sympathetic ear." -- Frank Tyger