  • Subject: CA/400 and Novell Client 32 - II10455
  • From: "Kenneth E. Graap" <kgraap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:19:45 -0700

Barry -

here is the informational PTF that talks about Novell Client 32
and Windows/95 interoperatibilty......

Kenneth

--
* *************************************** *
Kenneth E. Graap

kgraap@clackesd.k12.or.us
* *************************************** *

Client Access for Windows/95 V3R1M2:

 5763XD100  r310  r311  r312

 ** Last updated 5/21/97 **

 This Informational APAR contains data on Client
 Access for Windows95 (CA400WINOPT) coexistence
 with the Novell 32 bit client.

 A FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
 is listed below.

 Client Access should run across any 802.2 protocol stack.
 Communication problems specific to a particular stack
 are the responsibility of the stack provider.

 Client Access development has tested specific
 configurations of Novell Netware Client32 and Client Access.
 The following is a list of environments that have been
 tested with Client Access and Novell Client32.

 Support for any Client Access
 problem unique to running Client Access coexisting with
 Novell Client32 will be performed under an AS/400
 CONSULTLINE contract.

 Tested enviroments:

 1. NetWare Client32 IPX to NetWare over Ethernet or Token ring
    Client Access running IP to the AS/400 over Ethernet or
    Token ring.
 2. NetWare Client32 IPX to NetWare over Ethernet or Token ring
    Client Access SNA (MSDLC32) AS/400 over Ethernet or
    Token ring.
 3. NetWare Client32 IPX to NetWare over Ethernet or Token ring
    Client Access IPX (Netware SAA) Ethernet or Token ring

 This has been tested on Win '95 4.0.950 (non-OEM version)
 with the default NetWare Client32 configuration using NDIS.

 Customers experiencing problems specific to Novell Client32
 and Client Access for Windows 95 may
 wish to contact Novell and/or IBM for possible fixes.
 If the problem persists, you may wish to report the
 problem to IBM Service to pursue a AS/400 Consultline contract.
 IBM Service will require the following:

         1.  Your PC manufacturer make and model.
         2.  The version of Windows95
         3.  Detailed information on the hardware environment,
             can be obtained by printing device manager.
         4.  You contacted Novell for the latest patches/fixes
             to Novell Client32.

 Some other sources of information on Client Access
 for Windows 95 and Novell Client 32 support and
 problems can be found from:

   - Novell Support:  www.Novell.com/support
       Search on "Client32 AND AS400" for problem reports
       and downloads.

   - IBM Support: www.AS400service.ibm.com
       Search on "Client32 AND AS400" for problem reports
       and downloads.

   - IBM Client Access:www.as400.ibm.com/client/cahome.htm
       Listing of tested matrix.

 Frequently asked questions (FAQ):
 Did we test NDIS or ODI?
 Testing with Novell Client32 was done using the NDIS

 Check for the following hardware and performance issues:

 Using device manager(right click on "my computer"-property-devic
 -device manager) a small yellow circle with "!" mark indicates
 a hardware problem.  This needs to be resolved prior to
 proceeding, you may have to contact the hardware
 manufacturer and get new drivers.
 Check "performance" tab to ensure that you are using
 the file system (32bit) and Virtual Memory (32 bit).
 The following information comes from the Novell
 Web site:
 The following is excerpted from www.novell.com, document id
 2912726:

 Q: When using Microsoft's Winsock API through the NWLINK (Novell
 emulates this interface when the Novell Client 32 is installed)
 interface, problems can occur in regards to establishing the
 correct packet size for communication to another node on the
 network.

 A: Traditionally,  SPX applications performed their own
 segmentation/reassembly of data.  Each type of application came
 to some sort of agreement about what size of packets they should
 use.  However, there is no hard and fast rule, besides falling
 back to the minimum packet size of 512k bytes.
 Microsoft Windows 95 using WSOCK32.DLL (a Microsoft component)
 through the NWLINK interface provides a network API for use in a
 IPX/IP environment.  Winsock is responsible for
 segmentation/reassembly of SPX packets.  Winsock has APIs that
 are used for determining the appropriate packet size, these APIs
 appear to be broken.  Microsoft is aware of the issue and is
 currently addressing it.   Winsock's inability to determine
 proper packet size and perform segmentation/reassembly correctly
 will result in the failure of some applications depending on the
 Network Interface Card/Driver used.  This will affect both the
 Microsoft & Novell client software.
 In the future Novell will provide its own version of Winsock for
 use with Client 32 on Windows 95.  A release date for this
 Winsock support has not yet been announced.

 NetWare IP:
 (Information from www.novell.com)
 Q: Does  NetWare Client 32 for Windows 95 include TCP/IP
 support?

 A: The NetWare Client 32 release contains the NetWare/IP
 protocol only. This protocol does interoperate with the Microsof
 TCP/IP stack. NetWare/IP replaces the IPX protocol which provide
 the transport in the native NetWare environment with the TCP/IP
 protocol. This is done by "wrapping" the IPX packet. If you need
 TCP/IP support, install the Microsoft TCP/IP protocol. NetWare
 Client 32 is fully compatible with the Microsoft protocol. In
 fact, NetWare/IP requires that TCP/IP be installed, so it will
 only function if the Microsoft TCP/IP protocol is installed.
 Consultline will handle problems arising from connectivity
 issues where the NetWare IP protocol is being used.

 Windows socket error, Couldn't create socket(10047)
 This is a either a damaged or missing WSOCK32.DLL, or a 3rd-part
 WSOCK32.DLL has replaced the Microsoft WSOCK32.DLL.

 How to determine what version of WSOCK32.DLL you are using.

 Click on Start, Find, Files or Folders, Named: wsock32.dll,
 click Find Now.  Microsoft puts the file in c: windows system.
 3rd party developers may put this file where they choose.
 Right-click on the wsock32.dll in the  windows system directory,
 and ensure it is from Microsoft.  If it is not, consult
 www.microsoft.com on how to extract the original wsock32.dll fro
 your installation media.  Consult the following url for instruct
 http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q153/6/14.htm

 Microsoft has at least 2 versions of the wsock32.dll.  Version
 4.00.950 and 4.10.01.27.  Removing networking components and
 readding them does not replace the wsock32.dll file.

 An excellent discussion of winsock.dll, wsock32.dll, and sockets
 in general can be found at :

 http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q151/2/10.htm

 If you wish to use a 3rd party wsock32.dll or winsock.dll,
 consultline will handle problem resolution.  Additionally,
 you can consult the developers of the dll for resolution.